Light-O-Rama Forums

Control of hardware directly.

toymakr000

I was wondering if there was any way to control directly from my computer like the hardware utility? I posted my idea in PC a while ago, as an idea to try someday. If I got my hands on a touchscreen monitor and then allowed kids to touch a picture of my house in certain areas to light up they would think it was the coolest thing .... I could do this with a PLC setup however I'd have to have double the wiring because I want to be able to use my 192 channels of LOR for the regular show.
So I was wondering if ther was a way to control all 192 channels simultaneously? I'm sure I'd have to write some code I was wondering what the protocol would be ....?

Sometime ago, didn't Dan say he was working on some type of interactive thing for LOR? Don't know if it would interface with a touch screen, but he did say something along the lines that he had always wanted to make an interactive interface.

toymakr000 wrote:

I don't know? But I hope he's reading this thread;)

Ditto Gary. Thanks for posting this here. I was thinking of asking the same question.

I’m thrilled using the LOR software for my show. But, I miss being able to control the lights with my software. It would be nice to have that functionality available to use for concepts like yours.

Since LOR mentioned the existence of an ActiveX control in an email I assume it’s not taboo to bring it up here? I found the ActiveX control, and got as far as getting the controller LED to turn on steady. But I haven’t had much luck beyond that. It would be great if someone could offer examples of the typical calls.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

I added the LORChannelIO (.ocx) control to my VB project and 5 controls appeared in the toolbox. Of the 5 controls, ChannelIO seemed like the obvious one to use. I tried several of the methods available for this control.

When I make the following call the LED on my LOR unit changes from blinking to on steady:
ChannelIO.cioInitForLOR (1, 1)

I tried the following call with several variations of the arguments but never saw a glimmer of light (pun intended):
ChannelIO.cioHandleIO (INetwork, nDeviceType, bDevice, bCircuit, nEffectType, IDuration, nStartIntensity, nEndIntensity)

rwertz wrot

Since LOR mentioned the existence of an ActiveX control in an email I assume it’s not taboo to bring it up here? I found the ActiveX control, and got as far as getting the controller LED to turn on steady. But I haven’t had much luck beyond that. It would be great if someone could offer examples of the typical calls.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

I added the LORChannelIO (.ocx) control to my VB project and 5 controls appeared in the toolbox. Of the 5 controls, ChannelIO seemed like the obvious one to use. I tried several of the methods available for this control.

When I make the following call the LED on my LOR unit changes from blinking to on steady:
ChannelIO.cioInitForLOR (1, 1)

I tried the following call with several variations of the arguments but never saw a glimmer of light (pun intended):
ChannelIO.cioHandleIO (INetwork, nDeviceType, bDevice, bCircuit, nEffectType, IDuration, nStartIntensity, nEndIntensity)

This sounds very interesting to me. I don't yet know anything about VB or activeX but if a simple application could be written to control LOR boards in a customised way it could be very flexible. I'm building a sort-of temporary scoreboard at the moment which I was hoping to use LOR to run, but obviously needs to be dynamically controlled. It would also give me an excuse to use my LOR boards during the year and not just at Christmas :-)

We do have interactive control of LOR in the near future. It is scheduled as the first update to S2 that is planned for release this year.