Light-O-Rama Forums

Ventilating the controller

JimCanfield

If I build a box to go over my controller, will I need to drill holes in the box for ventilation? My plan is to make a box that will serve as a pedestal for my "main" mini tree in the center of my yard then will have 6 lighted presents surrounding the box underneath the tree. The box will be made out of 2x2s and 1/2 OSB. My controller will have a cable running through it to a dog tie out stake and padlocked.

I just want to know if the controller will put out enough heat to warrant ventilating.

Jim,

I've seen quite a few enclosures built for LOR controllers over the years. A majority of them do not have ventilation built in.

If you do make provisions for ventilation, you'll want to make sure the ventilation does not effect the weatherproofing of the enclosure.

Thank you Don. The board will be in the provided weather resistant plastic enclosure LOR enclosure. Then the LOR enclosure will be inside the box, so it should be weatherproof anyways correct? Therfore I will not have to drill holes in my box?

I don't think I would have any issues with doing what you are describing.

My enclosures were also wrapped in plastic just as an extra layer of weather resistance. Not once did I worry about the controllers overheating.

For others (don't think you will have this problem up north) in the regions of warm winters, make sure your vents, if you have them, protect against critters trying to stay warm in your LOR enclosers! There was a thread at PC about a guy who had escargot for dinner when a snail slimed its way onto the board... Buh-bye snail...buh-bye half his board. Not a pretty sight!