Light-O-Rama Forums

Police beacons

sparky741

Hello everybody!

Now that I ordered my goodies from this past weekend's sale, I'm starting to plan out my Halloween display and I was looking into using some of those warning lights similar to what is on emergency vehicles. Chauvet makes a 7" model that runs on 110V. I believe it has a 25W bulb in it. I realize it also has a little motor in it to to spin the reflector, so my question is whether or not it would be OK to use a LOR channel (ON/OFF only) to power it.

If you want to dim it, you could probably open it up, separate (electrically) the motor from the bulb, and run it on two channels. Or just plug the motor into an always-on outlet when it gets dark, and control the bulb with LOR.

I have been testing some 12 volt strobe lights like those used on a school bus.

You can buy different colored globes/lens. I bought a blue and green globe.

They seem to work OK.

I use a 12 volt landscape light transformer to power them. Never used them on LOR but I was

advised by others in an earlier thread that they would work in the (on/off) mode.

Harbs

Steven wrote:

If you want to dim it, you could probably open it up, separate (electrically) the motor from the bulb, and run it on two channels. Or just plug the motor into an always-on outlet when it gets dark, and control the bulb with LOR.

This is how I control my blowups...I've gone into the motor, disconnect the light wiring from the fan motor, and put a plug on the light portion of it. I leave the fan motors running 24/7 throughout the display season (except for when it's forecasted to be windy), and then can control the lights just as I would control the rest of the display's lights.

Another advantage - I never have deflated blowups all over my yard!