Light-O-Rama Forums

How I Sequence RGB elements

marsh28

I saw Brian's short tutorial on here and wanted to chime in and give my own thoughts on the best ways (at least in my experience) to program multi-channel RGB pixel elements and DMX floods etc.

1: have your exact setup done FIRST

-I've changed my setup every year I've done this.  This year, I spent A LOT more time since I've added approximately 2500 channels of smart pixels.  I also actually physically drew all pixels on graph paper as accurately as possible so I knew exactly how much space distance (to the inch) was between each RGB light.  The more accurate you're setup is "virtually", the better it will look in real life.

2: Pick an interesting song

-some songs are just difficult to sequence.  Classical music and slow music with slow beats are also difficult.  Before picking a song, make sure it has a good "base" beat and build from there.

3: Sequence in your head first

-This may or may not work for some people, but before doing anything, I will listen to a song over and over and mentally "sequence" the show as I'm listening to the parts.  By doing this, my actual time at the computer is cut down.  I also will even sometimes write a particular idea down when it comes to me.

4: Chase those pixels!!

-When you have 2500 channels to work with, USE THEM, but DON'T use them all at the same time.  Although there are some circumstances which may call for programming an entire CCR or other smart pixel in a sequence, these circumstances should be limited as: a) pixels are bright and you're inadvertently blinding you're audience; and 2) having all the pixels on at the same time is BORING.  Learn to Love the chase key.  If the music goes up in pitch, chase the pixels up.  If it goes down, make the pixels chase down.  Chase, chase chase.  The best RGB shows chase all the time.

5: Don't be afraid of the dark.

-IMO, the very best light shows are clean, simple, and use darkness well.  Nighttime, just like pixels, is a color that can be used to great advantage.  

Here's one of my videos from this year that kind of shows some of the above-referenced techniques.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXIttw4zvWE

If anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer them