Light-O-Rama Forums

Preload Show into Memory

Denny

Must the show computer have Memory equal to or larger than the combined file sizes of the show to use the Preload Show into Memory option, i.e., what happens if the show (all files, sequences, video, music) is in excess of 9GB, but the computer only has 8GB of memory?  I think I will be OK since I decided to use my desktop with 16GB this year and all the show files equal about 10 GB, but was just curious about the required memory since I am still thinking about getting a dedicated show machine for future use.

Edited by Denny

I don't know how that option works to speak the truth. I hope its only loading the file into memory when its requested because I had to turn on that function to solve an issue that showed up this year. My Halloween show, the sequence editor would play the file without any problems but when I ran it using the show player, my RGB and other strings didn't sync up for unknown reasons. When I changed that option to load the shows "Before", then everything works just fine. I have a feeling only that it loads the sequenced when its called, before allowing it to play, so for a huge sequence, there could be a delay in loading. I'll find out shortly when I take down Halloween this coming weekend and start putting up Christmas. My Christmas show has like 37 or so sequences which include pixels, therefore the files are huge. If the show player won't run, then I'll know the computer is out of memory. BTW, there's a 4GB memory patch you can apply too which might help you. If you want that link, let me know.

Guess there is one way to find out. 

I installed the 4K patch on my sequencing machine (which is the desk top that I will use to run the show) and it really made a difference there.  I have been using my laptop outside to test as I progress on the setup.  It only has one gig of memory though and really bogs down, especially with video.  Guess I will have to lug the desktop out there to see what happens. 

Would really like to know the answer to this though in case I find a good deal on a dedicated show machine.  Hate to put a support ticket into LOR though when I don't really know if it's going to be a problem on a machine I don't have yet.  On the other hand, don't want to waste money on something that won't do the job adequately.  Only have about 1700 pixels this year, but do have a lot of other RGB and dmx and my first year using video too.  Have somewhere around 400 regular LOR channels too, but don't think that it what is causing the slow down in loading.

I received the following information from the LOR support desk when I asked them this question.  I'll post their answer below, in case it helps anyone else.

"It does not.  Even with gobs of memory, Windows will limit how much each program can use.  More is always better, but at some point there is no additional gain.  

8GB is plenty for Windows to use what it needs, plus give the maximum to the show player."

I asked LOR support on a similar token, in regards to what happens if the sequence files are too large.  They told me to enable compression and to load the sequences before the show starts.

I know the compressed sequences are almost half the size of the regular sequences.

LOR should make it default in that the program should only utilize compressed sequences.

I don't see a benefit to "not" using compressed sequences.  Is there?

I asked LOR support on a similar token, in regards to what happens if the sequence files are too large.  They told me to enable compression and to load the sequences before the show starts.

I know the compressed sequences are almost half the size of the regular sequences.

LOR should make it default in that the program should only utilize compressed sequences.

I don't see a benefit to "not" using compressed sequences.  Is there?

I don't know the actual answer but normally speaking in the computer world, anything that's "compressed" must be decompressed before it can be loaded into memory, therefore additional time would be needed. Again, I don't know how or what LOR does in this case. Hopefully DevMike will respond or provide some insight.

To enable the use of compressed sequences, right mouse click on the LOR icon in your system tray, then select the "Use Compressed Sequences".

Found that.......thank you......Also found the Sequence compressor in the LOR tray as well.....quick way to make sure all the sequences you play are sequenced or a good place to sequence them.