Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple copies of the same channel in a track

k6ccc

OK, this may sound weird, but I want to have a large number of copies of the same channel in a track. I have found a way to do it but it's going to be very tedious to setup. Let me explain what I'm trying to do. When you buy Superstar sequence from Brian, the star on top is 6 channels - one for each concentric star. My star is 330 RGB pixels. So for example my outer star ring is 80 pixels so I have to copy Brian's outer star ring (single channel) and paste it 240 times for each of the channels for the outer ring of my star. Then repeat for each of the smaller stars. OK, in reality I don't paste 240 times, but rather a few times and copy that and paste that a few more times, and then copy that and past some more times. Easier than 240 pastes, but still tedious!

I figured out that if I create a track in my master config file that has enough copies of each of the 6 channels, I can them do a copy and paste of all 990 channels to a different track that has the actual RGB for the star. It will be very easy - once the multiple is set up in the first place.

Unfortunately the only way I have found to do this is to create a group with the single channel and then Duplicate children to a new group (MANY times over).

Anyone have a better way to do this?

That is a great idea. Never knew about the paste multiple command. Since I almost always use <CTRL>-C and <CTRL>-V for Copy and Paste, I had never noticed that one...

That makes it 6 Copy / Paste operations which is no big deal.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Once you the new track built, however it makes life much easier in the future.   I did the same thing for my spider web this year where each "spoke" of the web went from a string of orange, and a string of purple to 25 RGB pixels.   I wound up using ghost mouse to record the making of the duplicated channel and then replayed it 25 times.  set up the next one, and replay, rinse repeat 12 times.  Then I could import the channel config and copy/past from the old sequence into the new sequence and the old orange and purple were mapped to red and blue pixels respectively.  It works great.  I've even used it for new sequences when all I want is the whole string to turn on. 

Just wish there were an easier way to set it up.  It did take me 2 hours to build the config but it saved me probably 5, so I netted 3 hours :)

Why don't you just use the paste multiple tool?  and tell it how many lines you want to paste each time. 

That is a great idea. Never knew about the paste multiple command.

You know, as much as I use the Sequence Editor, I'm ashamed to admit I missed this as well.

I love using Paste Multiple, I use it all the time, vertically, horizontally, to the end of sequence, etc.  It's a great tool

Paste multiple has been a huge timersaver for me, I added effects to 3 separate songs for the entire length of each song yesterday for the halloween display, took less than 5 mins!