Light-O-Rama Forums

Automation / Effects Creator suggestions

CLD Kevin

I’ve always manually sequence RGB pixel lights and used SS instant sequence a few times. Manually sequencing really takes up so much time….time I don’t have now of days. I’m looking for more of an automation/effects creator…sometime that could also use the beat of the music. I would like the ability to move stuff around and getting the timing correct, I just don’t want to manually create these effects and be all over the place not truly sync. And I want to use with S3.

I’m looking more specially pixel strips I used to outline a house or location and not a mega tree or matrix…although I want those too. I think Madrix would be a great option, but a bit expensive for 16 or so universes.  But if it saves me a ton a time, may be worth it. There is a class at the Christmas Expo in July and was thinking about checking it out.

Nutcracker is another nice one, but seems more towards mega trees or matrix which would work out great for those props.

To be honest, I haven’t really messed around with SS that much. It’s like nutcracker and towards mega trees and matrix which I don't have why I haven't worked with it much. Although there has been enhancement with the importing the visualizer to create effects, but I just don’t know enough about it yet.

I done a lot of reading and research lately and just wondering what others have used and like that have thousands of RGB pixel channels? Madrix seems what I'm looking for, but open to other suggestions if any. Also any suggestion for standard single color lights like for the PC controllers. Most of the commercial displays work on still use these and would like to include. 

PS...

And if there is anyone that’s in So Calif or somewhat near CA and great with Madrix and want to teach an old dog new tricks…well, not that old….I’ll pay you for your time. 

Kevin

Kevin I think you really need to look at nutcracker in more detail its much more than just a pixel tree programmer you can create a model of whatever you want I have the outline of my house in c9 pixels an sequence this and a pixel tree using nutcracker it will auto sequence any rgb.s dumb or smart for you to any song or you can sequence manually its free the cost of madrix for a pixel with 10 universes for Christmas displays is really expensive

Thanks Dennis!! Guess I need to download and test it out this weekend.

If I'm starting from zero....which videos, manuals, ect should I start from? There are 70+ videos in Sean's vemeo acct but the old ones looks like the older version. Could you point me in the right direction?

Edit: I posted too soon....its right in front of me. I'll read the pdf doc and watch the videos tutorials posted and go from there. 

Edited by CLD Kevin

Nutcracker works great on matrix's.  Madrix is VERY expansive but very powerful,  Nutcracker sequences and remarkably like nutcracker except immediate viewing and the cost is considerably less (like FREE).   Well worth the time investment.

Kevin  

I am almost ready to release the upgraded SpEx program effect generator.   SpEx generates effects exactly in time with the beat and does it by audio frequency. 

There will be a new video soon.   Here are some video explaining the old version.

https://vimeo.com/album/2511539/video/77273072

https://vimeo.com/album/2511539/video/73629185

http://itsmebob.com/SD.html

The new version now detects mono and stereo tracks during extraction.   The linear spectrum has be changes to logarithmic so it aligns with piano keys.  

I think  I can release it this weekend.

Edited by ItsMeBobO

Whats up Kevin?  I have been playing around with the nutcracker software and going to start using it to program my sequences for this year. It has allot of tools and if the next update will have  SpEx program effect generator. that would make the software an even more powerful tool.

I downloaded nutcracker over the weekend. Watch endless of Sean's videos. I tried a few things and like it. Very simple yet powerful. Impressive.

Waiting on the SpEx update.

So I can see it in action, I had to make a complete new visual display since I'm changing locations. So converting over to visualizer....always used the old school animation screen. I played with the Viz a little bit, but was able to created the whole display in 1 day...which I was surprised how easy. Vegomatic saved me a bunch of time too. One thing I don't like about the Viz is I can't create DMX pixels strips/strings like the CCR. I guess it's on the wish list.

Kevin,

Here is my take. I own Madrix, and have done a lot of looking into Nutcracker to date. We just had a very detailed presentation at CLAP here in the NW this past Saturday. I think both have their place in this community.

The one thing you have to realize, is to use Nutcracker, and do it best, you need to convert your sequences to Xlights and will run your show via Xlights. If you are OK with this, I might suggest Nutcracker.

You CAN take your Nutcracker effects and dump them back into LOR, but it creates huge LMS files. I am considering trying to do this with my current sequences. I have 500 some LOR channels and am not prepared yet to completely convert to NC/XL and lose all the effects I did in Madrix last year.

You mentioned Expo. Madrix and Nutcracker will be at Expo, albeit the Immersion is in Madrix. We were only able to secure Sean for Expo for effectively a day to go over all the subject matter he is covering.

I think a lot of folks are wanting to see what Dan does with LOR and the agreement that he made with Sean and Matt with NC/XL. We are hoping for an update at Expo if not sooner.

I downloaded nutcracker over the weekend. Watch endless of Sean's videos. I tried a few things and like it. Very simple yet powerful. Impressive.

So I can see it in action, I had to make a complete new visual display since I'm changing locations. So converting over to visualizer....always used the old school animation screen. I played with the Viz a little bit, but was able to created the whole display in 1 day...which I was surprised how easy. Vegomatic saved me a bunch of time too. One thing I don't like about the Viz is I can't create DMX pixels strips/strings like the CCR. I guess it's on the wish list.

Kevin. SpEx is now back (in Beta). You can get it at http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2013/SpEx.zip

Have you tried the utilities found over in the forum below?  I used them for to create arches and straight strings for export straight into viz and they worked great.  First attempt to preview something worked perfect.  It was especially helpfull becuase my arches are 31 pixels each and it made the channel config super easy

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26528-rgb-pixel-utility/page-2