Light-O-Rama Forums

Intensity opinions and other stuff too?

oilmoney

So I'm basically looking at starting next xmas's sequencing over the next couple of days. After what I consider to be a successful year ( had a show, that was the goal ) I'm looking at jumping from 64 LOR ch and 2200+ RGB CH to somewhere in the 200 CH LOR and 4400 or so channels of RGB. I'm 1/2 to 3/4 complete on adding what I want to my configuration in the visualizer and before I start sequencing I'm wondering how everyone feels about intensity for the lights in regards to LED life and effect during the show. I just used 100% for everything this year, everything I tried to fade looked terrible.

I understand that the easiest way to see effect is to just hook up a set and see what the different intensities look like for myself but thats where the problem is, the lights I used this were just the run of the mill LED's that were not fully dimmable nor pro grade ( noma I think ). I'm planning on making a sizeable investment in the fullwave LED's and would like to use the fades and the spikes of brightness as well so the question is 100% all the time or do I run at 85-90% and save 10-15% for that effect?

I'm just bugging everyone about this now as I'd hate to start sequencing at 70 or 80% intensity just to find out that it's way too dim when I actually get a chance to see for myself and then end up having to do a whole lot of backtracking and resequencing during crunch time. Whaddya think?

P.S.  I've been blessed with a week out of the -40 deg C weather, today it even got to +5! It was nice being able to take the lights down without needing gloves and even had to take the coat off for awhile! Just got 2 more cords to dig out of the ice/snow and take the mega tree down and she's done! Supposed to be back to -30 deg C again next weekend but at least the cold snap broke enough to take the display down....

Do a search for snubbers, there are many threads on this topic to learn from.  Basically it's a resistor load in a plug.

Intensity just depends on the song and how bright your leds are.  My high powered floods run at 1% in landscape mode, full on for lightning.

Are you running these on a dc board?

Yes, the 16 channel controllers, because they are the only ones that can handle 36v and higher.  I have two, 100W leds, a 50w  and some 20w that all use 36v.  My 100w at 1% is about the same as a 10w at 100%

LED strings you can start at 10% as anything under that is not visible to the naked eye. LED are also at full intensity at about 70%. You can also set your intensity level at 70 then for where you just have them snap on and off.  Snubbers might be necessary to smooth out the fade, but the newer controllers actually have built in solutions to do this as well.

I have Gen 3 boards and all LED's.  I have to say I was hoping for better fade  control. Lenny Ruel is correct that anywhere from 70-80 seems like it is full ON, so save the lights.  I really had to go down to around 40% to see a decent fade  So real short time fades really did not show well.  No I did not use snubbers and yes I mainly used vendor grade lights.