Light-O-Rama Forums

Show controller shut down and didn't restart.

Tim Fischer

Since last year, LOR added a feature that restarts the show controller after every show due to memory leaks in the past (I helped Bob test it back last spring).  That's good.

But...

This morning, I noticed my usual "off hours" music wasn't playing.  Went to check, and the shows were disabled.  Checked the log, and the messages were something like (sorry, not in front of me now): 
"Show ended"
"Shows disabling for restart"
"Shows disabled".

Normally, there would be additional lines telling me the shows were reenabled, but not last night.

Anyone else seeing this?  If the "auto restart" is going to be flaky, that's just as bad as the memory leak issue ;)  And I'll have to pull out my brute-force "kill and restart the process" .bat files I used last year...

Thanks!

-Tim

Hmmm... what version are you using?

The Show Player (called LORMonitor.exe in Windows Task Manager) is responsible for shutting itself down.  The LOR Control Panel (called LORTray.exe in Windows Task Manager) is responsible for starting it up again.  If this happens again, could you please check:

(1) Is there a Show Player process running?

(2) If so, does it look like it was started just recently (e.g. just a few seconds of CPU time used) or that it has been up for a while?

(3) Is the LOR Control Panel responsive to other commands (for example, try to start up, say, the Schedule Editor from the Control Panel's popup menu)?

(4) If the Control Panel is responsive, and there is no Show Player process running, what happens if you manually enable shows?

Oh, and this is an extreme long shot, but:

I think that if you have anything running that is called (from Windows' point of view) "LORMonitor", that's good enough for the LOR Control Panel.  The Control Panel will see it, and think the Monitor is running. It doesn't have to really be the Monitor. This includes if you have a Windows Explorer instance opened to a directory that is named LORMonitor; Windows will report that to the Control Panel as being something called LORMonitor that is open, and the Control Panel will think the Monitor is already up and running.

Hmmm... what version are you using?

The Show Player (called LORMonitor.exe in Windows Task Manager) is responsible for shutting itself down.  The LOR Control Panel (called LORTray.exe in Windows Task Manager) is responsible for starting it up again.  If this happens again, could you please check:

(1) Is there a Show Player process running?

(2) If so, does it look like it was started just recently (e.g. just a few seconds of CPU time used) or that it has been up for a while?

(3) Is the LOR Control Panel responsive to other commands (for example, try to start up, say, the Schedule Editor from the Control Panel's popup menu)?

(4) If the Control Panel is responsive, and there is no Show Player process running, what happens if you manually enable shows?

Thanks for the response I can answer a few of these:

Version 3.10.12

3 & 4:  Yes, the control panel was responsive - I enabled the shows and my "off hours 'music only'" show started right up.

1&2 Not sure.  From my past experience restarting the controller by killing and restarting it forcibly, I'm guessing not.  But if it happens again (I hope not!) I'll let you know.  It worked properly the first few days of the season.

-Tim