Light-O-Rama Forums

How to control 16 servos w/ LOR software

Jeff Juneman

Anyone know the best way to control about 16 servos with LOR software? I know the CTB08D board will control 2 but i would need 8 boards and that starts to get expensive.

This is kind of what I want to do:

Any help is appreciated!

There is a company called Gilderfluke that makes a DMX based servo controller that uses DMX data to control 16 servos. I believe it is priced at $360. Here is the link. If you have the iDMX-1k, then it is not such a bad solution. I hope this helps.

~Brad

EDIT: The actual retail price is $336. If you have dealer status, it will be even cheaper.

Thanks for the reply! That's a neat site that makes my imagination wander. Would the new LOR software be able to control it? What exactly is an iDMX-1k? I guess I don't have one if I have to ask.

I also found this site http://www.brookshiresoftware.com/ . Brookshire Software's product called Visual show automation, will interface with servo controllers but I think it might be short on ability for lighting control. I really like, and am familiar with, and want to use LOR software with all the features it offers for lighting control and scheduling of shows.

I have 2 CTB08D boards to try it out with, so I might see how well they work first and then look for options if that doesn't work well.

This is all for Halloween 2008 planning.

Good news. Can I have it on Jan 1st? HaHaHa.

I have 2 CTB08D boards to try out the servo control with right now, so I might see how well they work first and then look for options if that doesn't work well.

If I wrote sequences to control servos , using the CTB08D's, do you think the same sequences would work on the new servo card?

Is it just an idea at this point or has it gone further into actual development?

LightORamaDan wrote:

There will be a high channel count servo card available next year.
Dan

There goes Dan, upsetting the staff again!

The iDMX-1k is my abbreviation for saying the iDMX-1000. Since k stands for kilo, which means 1000, 1k is 1000, 2k is 2000, 3k is 3000 etc..

The iDMX-1000 is a DMX controller made by LOR that can control 256 (in LOR I) channels of DMX-512.

~Brad

EDIT: Spelling

Ok, got it. I guess I didn't scroll down far enough on the LOR site to see it. After researching both products, it looks like it would work. It's about a $600 solution but would also pave the way to use other DMX devices in the future.

Thanks again!