Light-O-Rama Forums

Cannot save new sequence file

Gary Hatcher

I'm new to LOR and when I try to save a new sequence from sequence editor I get the following error message.

Invalid procedure call or agrument.

I'm running on a Windows 7 64bit operating system HP Pavilion.

I just got that same Error  using 3.10.12    So I rebooted my computer....re did my cut n. paste from Nutcracker, which I have the patch, and no issues with 20 universes, but now it won't save it at all...just sits there with the Save Sequence box open with all my sequences.

Then I tried saving after each 5 universes put in...saved the first 2 times, but the 3rd time, got the error again...thought I'd try to play the sequence, got another Error   Cannot allocate memory for play event nodes.

I have unchecked the Enable Undo Recording...any ideas?? This is realllllllllly frustrating.

I downloaded 3.10.12 today and still can not save files. LOR was saved to the programs (x86) folder, which is where 32 bit programs are stored on a 64 bit windows 7 system. When I try to save a file I get a message that it cannot rename the temp file and save the new file. S3 seems to assign a default temp file location and then cannot find it on my system. It may be because the assigned file is stored in a 64 bit file system and S3 is working in 32 bit. Any idea as to how this might be resolved?

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem in v3.10.14 Advanced.

The error message says:

Error Saving File

Error saving file...do you want to try to save to another file name?

Detail: Invalid procedure call or argument

I am trying to save a simple 32 channel sequence.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting the same error as "stanward". Only difference I have 3.10.6

"Error Saving File

Error saving file...do you want to try to save ton another file name?

Detail: Invalid procedure call or argument"

Any resolution?

Thank you

Joe

I downloaded 3.10.12 today and still can not save files. LOR was saved to the programs (x86) folder, which is where 32 bit programs are stored on a 64 bit windows 7 system. When I try to save a file I get a message that it cannot rename the temp file and save the new file. S3 seems to assign a default temp file location and then cannot find it on my system. It may be because the assigned file is stored in a 64 bit file system and S3 is working in 32 bit. Any idea as to how this might be resolved?

Are you trying to save your sequences to the "Program Files (x86)" directory (or a subdirectory of it, such as "Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama"?

If so, that's not what the Program Files directories are for.  That's where your LOR executable files (such as LORSequenceEditor.exe and LORMonitor.exe) should be stored by Windows.  It's not for storing your own data (such as the sequence files that you create).  The Program Files directory is not intended for direct use by a Windows user; it's for Windows' own use.  Windows is likely denying LOR the permission to save files there (as Windows should be doing).

A typical location that you might want to save your own data (such as sequence files) to would be something like C:\Users\Fred\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences.  Windows should let you (well, should let the Windows user "Fred") save data there without issue.

If you have things set up so that LOR is suggesting by default that you try to save the sequence to something like C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama, I'd suggest changing that.  You can do so by running the program "LORPost.exe"; it will ask you where you want LOR to save your data.  Tell it the level above the "Sequences" directory that you want to use; for example, if you want to use C:\Users\Fred\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences for your sequences, tell it to use C:\Users\Fred\Documents\Light-O-Rama for your data.

You can find the LORPost.exe program in the same directory as the other LOR executable files (for example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama).  It might show up as just "LORPost" rather than "LORPost.exe".

I know Bob is asking the question to the other user, but I was trying to save my sequence into a new folder I created in the "Sequences" directory.

I had to do the exact same thing as Joe2000 (sorry I didn't respond to this thread on a workaround).

I find it extremely odd for this to happen with the new version of LOR.  I never had this problem with older versions <3.10.xx.

By any chance are you relating "large" files? Many channels?

I see the exact behavior with 3.9.0, when copying from nutcracker to LOR, with ~5000 channels, into a ~15k channel sequence (FYI they are anywhere from 50mb to 400mb when saved)???

If so, I open task manager, and watch the memory the SE is using. After it gets past 1.6GB I see the behavior you mention.

As a work around, I start SE, open nutcracker file, copy 1 universe, save, close SE, rinse and repeat...

Doing this got me through the last sequence I did, and took abut 90minutes to open, copy, save, close, open, copy, save, close.....

Hope this "helps"...

Michael

Perhaps you don't have Windows permissions to write a file to the directory that you're asking LOR to save to.  Just as a test, try saving to, for example, your Windows Desktop.

Are you trying to save your sequences to the "Program Files (x86)" directory (or a subdirectory of it, such as "Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama"?

If so, that's not what the Program Files directories are for.  That's where your LOR executable files (such as LORSequenceEditor.exe and LORMonitor.exe) should be stored by Windows.  It's not for storing your own data (such as the sequence files that you create).  The Program Files directory is not intended for direct use by a Windows user; it's for Windows' own use.  Windows is likely denying LOR the permission to save files there (as Windows should be doing).

A typical location that you might want to save your own data (such as sequence files) to would be something like C:\Users\Fred\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences.  Windows should let you (well, should let the Windows user "Fred") save data there without issue.

If you have things set up so that LOR is suggesting by default that you try to save the sequence to something like C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama, I'd suggest changing that.  You can do so by running the program "LORPost.exe"; it will ask you where you want LOR to save your data.  Tell it the level above the "Sequences" directory that you want to use; for example, if you want to use C:\Users\Fred\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences for your sequences, tell it to use C:\Users\Fred\Documents\Light-O-Rama for your data.

You can find the LORPost.exe program in the same directory as the other LOR executable files (for example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama).  It might show up as just "LORPost" rather than "LORPost.exe".

Bob,

I had the same problem. Couldent figure out why I could see the seqs in LOR but not in Windows. You nailed it. Question is what folders should I move from the virtual folder to the new one at \users? I moved Audio and Sequences only. Show runs fine so far. Can I delete old one after?

Thanks

I wouldn't delete the old one.  It won't hurt anything by being there.  I would just let it be and forget about it, so that it's there in case I ever discover that I need something else from it.