Light-O-Rama Forums

Have a sequence to share? Then share it!

stevedave1138

Hi All

Im taking the chance of being unpopular, but if you have created a sequence, and you're willing to share it, then why not attach it?? I did this last year, and several folks downloaded it, and it was easy for me, and them! If you do not want to include the audio, then explain which version you used, etc, and let the folks put some effort into making it their own!!

This whole "PLEASE SEND ME" system is a waste of time for those willing to share!

Thoughts?!

6 of one, half dozen the other. No matter which route is taken, posting the sequence or asking people to email, you are going to have people who are going to do the exact opposite of that route.

Personally, I like to at least have an idea who I am sending my sequences to rather than it just going out to a bunch of unknown people.  I also like getting a thank you for all the work I put into every sequence.

Personally, I like to at least have an idea who I am sending my sequences to rather than it just going out to a bunch of unknown people.  I also like getting a thank you for all the work I put into every sequence.

+1 Brian. I feel the same way.

Do other people's sequences help you with your display?  Seems to me that unless you have substantually the same props it might be more work to convert then to start from scratch.  So, anyway, I have shared my sequences in the past not really knowing if they did anyone any good..

Do other people's sequences help you with your display?  Seems to me that unless you have substantually the same props it might be more work to convert then to start from scratch.  So, anyway, I have shared my sequences in the past not really knowing if they did anyone any good..

The only reason I might use a shared sequence is for the timing thru-out the song. I could care less what each channel was used for. Getting the timing cuts down a huge amount of time when when laying it out in the sequence. But then there are times when I'm so picky about timing of each beat or instrument, I end up starting from scratch anyway.

That's why I use shared sequences. If the person is any good. It saves me time on getting the timings right. Props and channels are not as important. I LOVE doing my display, but I am not as good as sequencing is I wish I was. Also, seeing others sequences gives me ideas and a how to. I am fairly new and shared sequences are big for me. Thanks to everyone who do share.

Personally, I like to at least have an idea who I am sending my sequences to rather than it just going out to a bunch of unknown people. 

While I respect your opinion, I'm reminded of what my 5 y/o was told last week by her Kindergarten teacher when she brought a few Halloween candies to school to "share" with her friends..(unbeknowst to us)

....Giving treats to a few people is not "sharing"..

Also, "a bunch of unknown people"? LOR typically involves passionate folks who have the same interests as you.

"I also like getting a thank you for all the work I put into every sequence."...Its a thankless hobby sometimes..isn't it??!!

I think the OP was talking about being able to upload it to the message board for all to download.  Though a nice thought, a lot of us modify the MP3 and their are some that may have obtained the MP3 from a questionable source.  Posting it the music here makes LOR liable for any copyright infringement.  Sorta like the Napster days though a bit of a stretch.  Some of the sequences are huge so there are also storage issues.  The current method is just fine and keeps things clean legally.

I think the OP was talking about being able to upload it to the message board for all to download.  Though a nice thought, a lot of us modify the MP3 and their are some that may have obtained the MP3 from a questionable source.  Posting it the music here makes LOR liable for any copyright infringement.  Sorta like the Napster days though a bit of a stretch.  Some of the sequences are huge so there are also storage issues.  The current method is just fine and keeps things clean legally.

I understand the legailty issues totally and I do not include audio in my "shares". I do purchase ALL my music, and hope others do as well, BUT I do make "alterations"..that's where things get complicated ;)

BTW Caniac..I did ask for a copy of "The Fox" the other day..any chance of sharing?

I use Skydrive if I'm sharing my sequences and all are made available.   I also modify the MP3's I use and if folks have bought the MP3 and need the "modified version" that fits my sequence, and they request it, I will make it available, after all, no two modifications on an MP3 file will be anywhere near the same, so it's really frustrating when you get a sequence and the MP3 DOES NOT fit it.  Why>  Because the MP3 was modified or changed by the sequencer.   Also if an MP3 I have IS NOT for sale anywhere and I ripped direct from a Movie, TV show, etc. and created a sequence with it, I will also make that MP3 available!

I created 48 channel sequences for 2013, as I downsized the Halloween display for this year, and they will be available as soon as I can get the others I'm working on converted down.

That's why I use shared sequences. If the person is any good. It saves me time on getting the timings right. Props and channels are not as important. I LOVE doing my display, but I am not as good as sequencing is I wish I was. Also, seeing others sequences gives me ideas and a how to. I am fairly new and shared sequences are big for me. Thanks to everyone who do share.

I feel the same way...Its not all about just taking and not sharing.... but for some of us its a learning curve!! If there were not people like Brian Mitchel and a lot others like him to share all of there hard work... I don't think a lot of us would be in this hobby. I have used a lot of sequences as a learning tool... how to make arches flow...and so on ...so many people have ideas but some just flow better than others... Like when I first started...the method of sequencing I used was VERY VERY CRUDE!!!! But with people sharing helped me out so much! I still am no expert but improving over time. I am not hating on the person that started this tread, but just pointing out a different point of view... There are all kinds in this lovely world we live in....Just remember... it take as kinds.... cant we just get along! L ;) L

Im thankfull for all who have shared seq with me i am new this year and it gives me a jump start thanks to all who share...

I will be the first to admit that I just suck at it been in it for 4 years and not getting any better at it, so if wasnt for the generous ones that share my lights will be all Static. I really enjoy doing the wiring and planning the disply just wish I had a ear for music.

Im thankfull for all who have shared seq with me i am new this year and it gives me a jump start thanks to all who share...

I agree.  Without those who shared with me for Halloween, I dont think mine would have been anywhere close to as nice as it was.

I'll go on record here as well. I have been the recipient of shared sequences and have purchased some as well. You still have to do PLENTY of work to make it all fit. I can truly appreciate the time that goes into doing this from scratch. My setup with 10 rgb mini trees, rgb floods, etc means nothing "fits" but I have been making it work. Thank you again to all that have shared.

Here is where you can download any of my sequences from when I started in 2010 up until Halloween 2013:

http://sdrv.ms/NiGv0E

NOTE:  I don't have or do RGB items, nor do I have any singing faces currently, so there are no RGB or singing faces sequences available from my file areas, they are set up for Incandescent bulbs, L.E.D.'s,  Blow Molds and Wire Frames.

Once I have my Christmas ones copied over from 80 chnnel to their new 48 channel versions for my smaller display for 2013, they will also become available for downloading.

These are on SkyDrive via Outlook, sometimes a folder or their files won't show up, ever since the changeover from Hotmail{which worked} to Outlook, getting to the files, even for myself at times, can be problematic.   

So if you can't access something, try again later and hopefully you'll be able to access them.   Outlook is still has issues from time to time, so if something doesn't work, just try again at another time.

Enjoy and have fun.   Hope these may help out some of the new folks coming into the hobby.

I'm not the best or the worst {depsite what some might think... :P} sequencer out there, but hopefully these will give someone a starting point and help in learning how to do a sequence.

If you want to see my abilities, you can view some of my older videos here on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/groups/109696

Video quality isn't that good, the original files, now gone, were of better quality, but Vimeo converted them to a lesser quality at the time, but they should give you an idea of how the sequences available for download look and work.

Sadly I lost all of my 2013 Halloween videos, directly after my SD card had just finished copying the stills and video to my laptop HD, darn thing crashed immediately afterwards. lost all Halloween for 2013.   Not even a chance to back up the 2013 videos or stills, and when the HD crashed, it screwed up the SD Cards files on top of that, so that just wiped everything out I had recorded and shot.  Ugh!

Here is where you can download any of my sequences from when I started in 2010 up until Halloween 2013:

http://sdrv.ms/NiGv0E

NOTE:  I don't have or do RGB items, nor do I have any singing faces currently, so there are no RGB or singing faces sequences available from my file areas, they are set up for Incandescent bulbs, L.E.D.'s,  Blow Molds and Wire Frames.

Once I have my Christmas ones copied over from 80 chnnel to their new 48 channel versions for my smaller display for 2013, they will also become available for downloading.

These are on SkyDrive via Outlook, sometimes a folder or their files won't show up, ever since the changeover from Hotmail{which worked} to Outlook, getting to the files, even for myself at times, can be problematic.   

So if you can't access something, try again later and hopefully you'll be able to access them.   Outlook is still has issues from time to time, so if something doesn't work, just try again at another time.

Enjoy and have fun.   Hope these may help out some of the new folks coming into the hobby.

I'm not the best or the worst {depsite what some might think... :P} sequencer out there, but hopefully these will give someone a starting point and help in learning how to do a sequence.

If you want to see my abilities, you can view some of my older videos here on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/groups/109696

Video quality isn't that good, the original files, now gone, were of better quality, but Vimeo converted them to a lesser quality at the time, but they should give you an idea of how the sequences available for download look and work.

Sadly I lost all of my 2013 Halloween videos, directly after my SD card had just finished copying the stills and video to my laptop HD, darn thing crashed immediately afterwards. lost all Halloween for 2013.   Not even a chance to back up the 2013 videos or stills, and when the HD crashed, it screwed up the SD Cards files on top of that, so that just wiped everything out I had recorded and shot.  Ugh!

Thanks for sharing, I took a look at a couple of your sequences, they look great.  Not sure where to find the music??  Was it iTunes or amazon?  Artist? 

I buy my music from CD Baby, iTunes and sometimes Amazon.  Many times I have ripped the music direct from a CD I purchased at a retail or audio store, some I converted from MIDi files to MP3 files.