Light-O-Rama Forums

Copy/paste with different timing marks

Klayfish

I'm stuck.  I created an effect that I like and want to repeat, but can't figure out how to do it.  The start of the effect has a timing mark every "x" amount of time.  For the last part of the effect, I had to subdivide each "x" timing into 4.   So the effect is part at x speed, part at 4x speed.  If I try to just highlight, then copy/paste, it doesn't come out right.  What am I missing?

I'm stuck.  I created an effect that I like and want to repeat, but can't figure out how to do it.  The start of the effect has a timing mark every "x" amount of time.  For the last part of the effect, I had to subdivide each "x" timing into 4.   So the effect is part at x speed, part at 4x speed.  If I try to just highlight, then copy/paste, it doesn't come out right.  What am I missing?

There are three different paste modes.

Paste by Cell

Paste by Time

Stretch to fit

Look on the left side of the screen and choose the 'stretch to fit' option. That will 'stretch' the effect to fit into the area with different timings that the source. Note that this stretch option will work both ways. 

You can take a 10 cell, 1 second effect and paste it into either a 20 cell .5 second space, or into a 5 cell 2 second space.

Stretch-to-fit is definitely the answer you're looking for. When pasting, select the time range (from left to right) across the top row of cells into which you want the effect.

For your own peace of mind, be sure to de-select that paste option when you're through with it, or else you'll see some things you don't expect the next time you paste.

Another option is to use a different timing grid. When I start a sequence, I make a timing grid called "Basic Beat." I duplicate that to another grid called "Fast Beat." I subdivide "Fast Beat" where needed. But then, I always select "Basic Beat" when copying and pasting.

You can delete the extra timing marks if there aren't too many of them and you aren't using them anymore.