Light-O-Rama Forums

Timing Issues

obeginski

Currently i am working on a pretty basic sequence with 32 channels for an intro to our show. The issue that I am having is that I sequence using 1/2 speed and only the visable window. Then full speed to check my work, then full song. When i get to playing the full song the actions of the lights are off further and further as the songs palys. When I change back to playing the visable area and go to the part that looks off its right on.

If when you play a sequence from the beginning vs playing it at a start point within the sequence, and you see a difference in timing, this is usually caused by the type of MP3 file being used. Converting to a constant bit rate (CBR) file will almost always take care of the problem. 

We have instructions on how to convert your MP3 to CBR using 'Audacity' and the 'LAME MP3' encoder.  Both tools are free.  The instructions can be found on this page: http://www.lightorama.com/PDFs.html entitled 'Preparing MP3 Files for Sequencing'.

I had to adjust some timings in different areas of the song. But atleaast I got the same results weather it was a section or the entire song. Thank you very much.

Yep, MP3's in Variable Bit Rate {VBR} will definitely foul you up on the timings like that.   And some of us still don't always catch it when we download a new MP3 and use it.   Done it myself a few times.  I try to always download the MP3 in the Constant Bit Rate {CBR} using the "old standard", then I rarely have any timing issues with lights coming on either too soon or too late.

And there are many FREE programs out there that will convert MP3's from VBR to CBR ir or vice versa, and many of these programs alsao allow you to convert to other sound formats as well.

Edited by Orville

... And some of us still don't always catch it when we download a new MP3 and use it.

And others of us, who've learned this lesson once and don't need to repeat it, have gotten into the habit of running EVERYTHING through Audacity, not just to insure that it's exported as a CBR file, but to also insure it's set at the 128Kbps rate that LOR recommends.

Not sure if this helps, but I installed LOR on an old computer I had downstairs (just over the minimum reqs for running the SW), and I noticed on this computer, when starting playback at 1/2 speed in the middle of the song, it almost always causes the timings to be off.  If you start it from the beginning at 1/2 speed, it seems fine, it is just slightly off if I start it in the middle.  I think it might be a cache issue on my computer?

My two fixes are this:

1) Start from the beginning is the best (sucks if the part you're working on is way late in the song).

2) Scroll left a bit back in the song, and start at half speed from there and hopefully the timings catch up

3) Start the song over at full speed, then go back to the section you are working on, and you can switch it to 1/2

If you have some known good timings, and you play it back at half speed and those good ones are off, I know to stop the play back, let it run through at full speed, and then go back to 1/2 speed to make sure it's spot on

Hard to explain, but easy to see if you are in the SW

Also, possibly related, but I have test lights set up and I have to minimize the sequence editor when testing them, otherwise the lights lag a bit when the song moves to the next section screen in the editor.  This seems like a graphics card/memory issue...again on the OLD computer.  This doesn't happen nearly as much on the nice new computer.

But like others stated, make sure you're using a constant bit rate on your mp3's