Light-O-Rama Forums

where do you start your sequencing?

75redman

Where do you srart your sequencing?   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you srart your sequencing in a song?

• Beginning
    • Middle
    • End

I find myself starting from the middle of a song most of the time.

Just wanting to know where most of you guys start?

Every song is different so it depends. Usually I like to listen to all instruments end to end several times. Drum, string, horn, voice, special effect etc. Before I start I decide which element will follow each instrument. Then I sequence by prop for the entire song. The first prop is usually the background instrument. Or it may be the highlighted instrument which gets the attention in the song. Most songs bring in new sounds as the song progresses and start layering them.

The later layers often get the most complex movements. It also usually is intermittent in the song, not end to end. So if this part is done first, it can be said that I start in the middle of the song.

I'm new so am probably inefficient but I start beginning to end doing one prop or element at a time. I usually start with the major elements, in my case, mega tree, arches, firesticks, etc. and then move to the supporting items, roof, trees, bushes, etc. By the time a song is done I don't want to hear it again for a long time :)

I start wherever my brain has an idea first..

That's pretty much how I am. I listen to a song and think I could do this or that at a particular point, so that's where I usually start. :D

For a song with vocals, I always do them first. I use the tapper wizard that inserts a time line and then I do a full on the fade down until the next word. then copy and paste by cell all he way to the end of the song. then I go back in and do the more dominate parts and so on

I lay out 3 tracks, the names is not important but each one has a purpose. I always start at the beginning of the song and lay out a beat track. As we know some songs change in the middle or at cetain intervals, so I lay this out manually. Next will be a track for off beats, such as background effects on guitar drums, or whatever instrument plays out. Last will be for the rest of the notes that those 2 will miss. Between these 3 tracks I can layout the song so easliy. I always start at once, and use the tapper wizard several times to make them perfect. These are made before a single cell is filled.

I start all over the sequence when an idea hits me while I am listening. Most the time someone has already done the sequence and I added my touches or change it to fit my show. The forum has been helpful and I have paid for sequences due to not having time to set behind a machine all the time. This year I am taking a different approach and doing it myself. I promised the Boss (Wife) not to spend to much. The p12r and pixels will take most of it this year and one sandevice... LOL

Jeff

<snip> I promised the Boss (Wife) not to spend to much.

Jeff

Define "too much".. is there really such a thing? :P

• 1 month later...

I usually work from beginning to end doing one element at a time, each one building on what's already there.  But having said that, I'll sometimes jump to a part of the song where I know exactly what I want to do.

Typically, I begin with the display elements that mark the beat - two different types of trees and the candy cane hoppers.  Then I add the primary red/green background colors.  Then the face.  Then the CCRs and CCBs.  And finally, I begin adding the other "eye-candy" display elements: arches, poles, matrix, spinners, etc. until it looks finished.

I always start at the beginning of each song.

Doing the beat track first.

Then assign multiple channels and sequence one instrument/vocal at a time. Sometimes an instrument or vocal will take up several channels for the layout of the props of multiples like snowflakes and minitrees for chases and such.

Once I get the timing of all the elements of a song done, then I go and put in the special effects (fades, twinkles, shimmers).

Then I run thru it multiple times tweeking, tweeking and tweeking.

It's been three years...and I'm STILL trying to figure out where to start!!!

I guess for me the best place to start would be to open the Sequence Editor...  :P

For a song with vocals, I always do them first. I use the tapper wizard that inserts a time line and then I do a full on the fade down until the next word. then copy and paste by cell all he way to the end of the song.

Can you clarify that a little?

I'm still a bit overwhelmed by sequencing. Did one song last year, not very well IMO. Starting my next song now, and already running into trouble. I used the beat wizard, and it laid down very evenly spaced timing marks. It does line up with the background beat, but misses other things. Do you do the tapper wizard throughout the entire song? If so, how do you know when to tap? Or do a lot of you guys use the beat wizard and then add timings where needed? I've got three "groups" of elements, trying to program one at a time. But there are times where I want all three working together at the same time.

I start with the vocals and then other elements but always start at the beginning.

I always lay down a beat track first. Since most everything gets done on the beat. My eves, mini trees,bushes and candy canes are next as they are the backbone. Then pixels get done. Next the mega tree and then lastly is the signing snow man

then lastly is the signing snow man

do you have a lot of deaf people come to your display???  :P

Can you clarify that a little?

I'm still a bit overwhelmed by sequencing. Did one song last year, not very well IMO. Starting my next song now, and already running into trouble. I used the beat wizard, and it laid down very evenly spaced timing marks. It does line up with the background beat, but misses other things. Do you do the tapper wizard throughout the entire song? If so, how do you know when to tap? Or do a lot of you guys use the beat wizard and then add timings where needed? I've got three "groups" of elements, trying to program one at a time. But there are times where I want all three working together at the same time.

Sometimes, things can seem overwhelming and some folks can complicate things further by trying to think too far ahead. I've done this myself sometimes.

I don't use the beat ot tapper wizards. I find it tasking and prefer just laying out the .05 grid across the board (sequence). You can move the timing around a bit if you want to but I haven't seen the need to do that.

From there, start at what comes to you first. The beat? The vocals? A certain instrument? It will start to know what your comfortable with in time.

I start with the beat every time because it's the most tamed part of majority of sequences IMHO.

Relax and get the feel. Don't pressure yourself into it.

do you have a lot of deaf people come to your display???  :P

That was good Jim.