Light-O-Rama Forums

18 strip Dumb RGB tree

TheUltimate

I'm just getting into this wonderful world of RGB and am planning an 18 strip dumb rgb tree for 2013. I've come up with a couple neat effects to use in sequences but was wondering if anyone was using something similar and could share some ideas. If you have a video of a tree similar to what I will be doing I would love to see it. If you have a sequence you want to share that's fine too but I don't want anyone to think I'm asking for handouts :)

Thanks!!!

P.S. I wasn't sure if I should put this in sequencing or general decorating questions... Feel free to move it if I guessed wrong :)

I'm just getting into this wonderful world of RGB and am planning an 18 strip dumb rgb tree for 2013. I've come up with a couple neat effects to use in sequences but was wondering if anyone was using something similar and could share some ideas. If you have a video of a tree similar to what I will be doing I would love to see it. If you have a sequence you want to share that's fine too but I don't want anyone to think I'm asking for handouts :)

Thanks!!!

P.S. I wasn't sure if I should put this in sequencing or general decorating questions... Feel free to move it if I guessed wrong :)

TheUltimate

You don't give much details on what you are planning - so I'm not sure how someone else can help you out. My 2011 tree was just regular led lights in a very straight line which might give you some idea of what a simple pattern might look like. (I have some dumb strips- so the look is close to how they might look) How many channels are you planning? Are you forming a tree like what some of us have done with 12 CCR's? Are you planning some special spiral or horizontal layout?

Steve

I'm using 18 5 meter dumb LED strips all in a straight line edge to center 360 degrees. 3 CH per strip (RGB) so a total of 54 DMX channels.

Look at any led or incedecent mega tree display strung vertically (most). You do anything they do except in 16 million colors with a single string rather than 3 or 4 strings wrapped together in superstrings. If you overlay stips diagonally you could also do spirals.

steve synek. What are you using around the windows.Smart strips or pixels. Where did you get them. I love the window effect.

I cut up CCRs to use around the windows

Great Job on your show Steve. Timing looks spot on and I enjoyed it.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, but there's nothing like seeing a show live. The audio is dubbed, so it's as close as I could get it.

Sorry Ultimate for highjacking..

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

ULTIMATE im looking forward to seeing your dumb strip mega tree and Steve do you use super star to program your ccr`s ???? 

Steve do you use super star to program your ccr`s ???? 

Yes.............and no...................I purchased the programing from super star,  I haven't used the software to do the job myself  :P

TheUltimate

You don't give much details on what you are planning - so I'm not sure how someone else can help you out. My 2011 tree was just regular led lights in a very straight line which might give you some idea of what a simple pattern might look like. (I have some dumb strips- so the look is close to how they might look) How many channels are you planning? Are you forming a tree like what some of us have done with 12 CCR's? Are you planning some special spiral or horizontal layout?

Steve

I am interested on what you are going to use to run these strips e.g. what type of controller. If you are going to use 18 strips for 360 tree in is going to have a large gap between the strips.

bdeditch, I'm rethinking the 360 tree. People will only see it from the front anyway some I'm thinking about going 2D or 180 degree. Not sure which yet though. 2D would be easier.

bdeditch, I'm rethinking the 360 tree. People will only see it from the front anyway some I'm thinking about going 2D or 180 degree. Not sure which yet though. 2D would be easier.

Yes it would be. I built 2 this year a little over 8 feet high with 18 half strips. It came out nice.

• 7 months later...

I'm using 18 5 meter dumb LED strips all in a straight line edge to center 360 degrees. 3 CH per strip (RGB) so a total of 54 DMX channels.

How are you supporting your strips