Light-O-Rama Forums

What is the min. timing grid?

plasmadrive

I want my firesticks to pulse like a VU meter but the .05 grid is too slow to make them look right. I found I can program a grid to .02 but not sure how this will work with another 250 channels doing other things once I start sending it out to the rest of the stuff via my ELLs

Anyone?

I'm not sure what the smallest time slice can be but I think if you start going below .05 you start getting into the parts where the human eye may not notice.....

If you want to get light poles responding to music or voice levels like a vu meter, see the "Tips & Tricks" topic in the Newbies forum http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/13818-sequencing-tips-tricks-and-secrets/ I posted a technique there which makes it very easy to produce this effect (reply 28 or there abouts).

This approach produces both the time grid and the channel on/off sequencing required using the VU wizard.

Note that the minimum time grid for sequencing is 0.01 sec, but I would not try manually sequencing at this resolution except for very limited time ranges. (As said above, this is normally not needed or detectable by eye, but is also too time consuming.)

If you want to get light poles responding to music or voice levels like a vu meter, see the "Tips & Tricks" topic in the Newbies forum http://forums.lighto...ks-and-secrets/ I posted a technique there which makes it very easy to produce this effect (reply 28 or there abouts).

This approach produces both the time grid and the channel on/off sequencing required using the VU wizard.

Note that the minimum time grid for sequencing is 0.01 sec, but I would not try manually sequencing at this resolution except for very limited time ranges. (As said above, this is normally not needed or detectable by eye, but is also too time consuming.)

I actually wound up using my .02 time scale and it worked out pretty good. I was only going for the beat on a song and it stayed consistant so the programming was seconds worth of my time.. so no big.. I was just worried that it was too fast to work with my overall system.. but as it turned out, it was not.

Thanks for the tips and tricks though.. I may try that for some future program.

For really fast timings on just a few elements, I'd copy them to their own track and then create a custom timing.

Not sure about the LOR protocol's max speed but DMX has a max timing. Go faster and it will skip or drop to keep up.

• 4 weeks later...

From my "uneducated" guess .03 is the smallest you can go with DMX as far as S3 is concerned. At .03 you would have 33 slots per second and at .02 would be 50. I think standard DMX runs at a max of 44. It would be nice if LOR had a timing grid for the max of DMX but from what I can see you have to pick the next higher at .03. Actually I'm not sure why they have .02 unless the LOR protocol can handle it.

.03 = 33

.02 = 50

Mini incandescent lights may have a hard time keeping up with .05 increments because of the internal filament taking a while to heat up and start glowing.

LEDs will be much quicker.

I have been doing some testing with another long time LOR user and have suspicion that LOR "Might" have some work to do in the DMX output arena. We tested the same sequence in S3 and a package called HLS and you can visually see that S3 was not spitting out DMX data at the rate it should, or at the consistency that it should. I say might as there is obliviously non LOR hardware in the mix.

Either way it seams like a timing grid of .025 is necessary for DMX to get on the 40 frames per second which I think is the DMX standard.

Kind of off-topic for this thread but 2 questions -

1). Does the VU meter work when in demo mode of the software?

2). Is there anything "built-in" or an easy add-in to work with frequency as opposed to intensity (which is how i assume the VU meter works) of the music?

For example, 100 - 1K frequency turn on channel 1, 1k-3k channel 2, etc.

Thanks,

Tony

Kind of off-topic for this thread but 2 questions -

1). Does the VU meter work when in demo mode of the software?

2). Is there anything "built-in" or an easy add-in to work with frequency as opposed to intensity (which is how i assume the VU meter works) of the music?

For example, 100 - 1K frequency turn on channel 1, 1k-3k channel 2, etc.

Thanks,

Tony

1 NO - VU Wizard requires a minimum level of Basic + see http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimeSoftwareSuite.html

2 NO - A frequency analyser would be a nice addition.

Welll I suppose you could make like 5 or 10 versions of the song, when you run each version through a frequency filter (crossover) kinda of thing.

Then copy...paste... the VU sequences into the original ?/ Sounds like a lot of work though

Has anyone ever tried LORVis?

"LORVis is a visualization plug-in for Windows Media Player that will utilize a Light-O-Rama controller to synchronize your christmas lights with live music.

Note: LORVis is known to worth with the CTB-08D, CTB-16D and CTB-08 controllers. It may work with other LOR controllers as well but has not been tested."

http://nopotatos.com/LORVis/

Has anyone ever tried LORVis?

"LORVis is a visualization plug-in for Windows Media Player that will utilize a Light-O-Rama controller to synchronize your christmas lights with live music.

Note: LORVis is known to worth with the CTB-08D, CTB-16D and CTB-08 controllers. It may work with other LOR controllers as well but has not been tested."

http://nopotatos.com/LORVis/

Yup loads of people do, it doesn't create a very sophisticated sequence, and it doesn't take account of props or RGB but its still effective.

I assume you can take that sequence as a start and add-in and adjust after that though? Does it work with Windows7 systems?

Thanks!

sorry, i should have done this first. I searched for LORVis in the forum and i see there's lots of information already out there.

I assume you can take that sequence as a start and add-in and adjust after that though? Does it work with Windows7 systems?

Thanks!

Nope, you pretty much play a song and it visualises it using the lights. No sequencing at all. Its technically called a Windows Media Player Plugin.