Light-O-Rama Forums

Strange pausing problem

Guest guest

I have a LOR problem that occurs occasionally. During a sequence (and more towards a complex area of the sequence), all channels will lock up to about 1 second with their current state and then the whole display will go dark for about 5 seconds. After the 5 seconds, LOR continues and everything is fine. It occurs about once or twice per 7 musically sequences.

Both LOR and Dasher locks up the same (each on it's own COM port). The music continues on without a hitch during the outage. I tried rebooting the PC (which is a 2Ghz AMD) solely running LOR, removing/re-applying power to the LOR boards, checking basic connections. Anything I should try to look for? Thx!

Wayne,

Not sure what could be happening. With your configuration do you have Dasher or LOR on a USB adaptor. If so I would suggest that Dasher be placed on the adaptor not LOR.

Also in the Sequence Editor under Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences set LOR to the highest speed.

The reason the everything goes dark is that LOR is hanging for some reason and the idle timers in the controllers shut them off. I have not heard of LOR hanging while in the Show Player so we need to understand this better. If the suggestions above do not help we will continue to dig into it.

Dan,

I have Dasher on the USB to serial adapter...LOR is on the single serial port. I'll check the network speed....I don't remember seeing that area before. :) I'll try that tonight and see how it works. Thx!

Wayne

• 4 weeks later...

Dan,

I just staring using the LOR sequencer and I am having a similar problem. I am getting a hick up effect on my sequences. During the sequence it seems to stop for a fraction of a second at some point and about one second at other points. It was working fine with the demo software until I loaded the purchased version 1.5.0. on the computer. I have reinstalled the software but it did not fix the problem. I set the speed to the fastest as you recommended but it did not help. I am running the software on a P4 266GHz with 512 MB of ram. Any ideas?

Thanks,

HPHP

HPHP wrote:

I just staring using the LOR sequencer and I am having a similar problem. I am getting a hick up effect on my sequences. During the sequence it seems to stop for a fraction of a second at some point and about one second at other points. It was working fine with the demo software until I loaded the purchased version 1.5.0. on the computer. I have reinstalled the software but it did not fix the problem. I set the speed to the fastest as you recommended but it did not help. I am running the software on a P4 266GHz with 512 MB of ram. Any ideas?

The pause you are talking about. Is the monitor that is pausing? If so adjust the hardware acceleration level on your display to the lowest level. To adjust, right click on your desktop, click properties, settings, advanced, troubleshoot...... With most PCs setting hardware acceleration to a low value or none with get rid of he pause... With others you have to increase the hardware acceleration??? not sure why.

If the pause is something else let me know.

Dan,

The display acceleration on my desktop was set to FULL so I set it to NONE. I then rebooted the computer and it did improve on one sequence but got worse on another sequence. I then installed the software on a new IBM laptop and I also set the acceleration to NONE. Same effect on both machines. Again its better now after changing the acceleration but I still get two or three hiccups during the sequence as oppose to eight or ten. It seems to happen in random spots of the sequence.

HPHP

I see similar behavior. If I view the animation while playing the sequence, it will look as if things have "locked-up" for about a second or two.

I have also experienced loss of display of the selection tool in the editor. I can still select events, I just don't see it on the screen, but the selection time and duraction do indicate that I selected something.

This usually will happen with channels in the lower half the screen. Shutting down the program and restaring it corrects this problem for awhile. As my sequence gets more complex, this occurs more frequently.

I am using the demo version. It may be a Display Adapter glitch. Running a Dell Latitude D800, with a nVidia GeForce 4 GO 4200 adapter. 1600 X 1200 resolution.

Chris

Oh, I noticed this problem too, but I just adjusted my virutal memory settings and it all went away...

Some systems will pause when the virtual memory setting is set to "Let Window's choose what's best for my computer" in XP...

Either try giving your memory more hard drive space for vm, or set your system to "Adjust for best performance"...

If using another operating system, I couldn't begin to tell you where to look for these settings, but in XP, right click on 'My Computer' on your desktop, click the 'Advanced' tab, then click the first 'Settings' box under 'Performance'.

One thing to note is that this is caused by the Sequence Editor trying to draw things on the screen. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN WHEN YOU DO A SHOW....

We are working on making this work better in LOR II but there is little I can do now. It is a nuisance but it will in no way affect your show when you play it for real.

You can try setting display fades are ramps, that helps a little.

Glad to know that this will not affect the show.

Rich I tried your suggestion but it didn't help.

It’s really not a big problem because it doesn't occur when I user the Play Range/Visible Screen to create the show. It only happens when I play the whole show. I could live with it for now.

Thanks for all the responses.

HPHP,