Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting/pasting long sections of a song

Klayfish

Go easy on me...remember, I'm a complete newbie. B) I'm using mostly sequences shared by others and in the free sequences links. But I'd like to try to have my own sequence of at least one song in for the holidays. I'm using "Call Me Maybe" as my guinea pig (thankfully I've got a really nicely done sequence of it from Columbus27 in case my attempt looks horrid). I've got about a minute or so of the song done so far. But here's my question. The refrain of the song repeats itself a few times and is rather long. I wanted to cut/paste it to use a few times. It's too long for me to copy it on just one screen. If I narrow (?) the time so that more of it fits onto the screen, it gets too small to where it's hard to copy exactly what I want. I'm not sure it'll work because I'm not 100% sure the multiple repeats of the refrain are timed exactly the same, but I want to try.

I'm sure I'm missing something very basic, but like I said this is my first try. What's the tips for copying and pasting a large amount of a sequence?

Select the cell that you want to start copying from (click it once). Then use the scroll bar to slide the screen to show the end of the section you want to copy. Press the shift key and hold it down, and while you're holding it, click the cell that is the end of what you want to copy. This will highlight the entire section from the first cell to the last. Now press <ctrl>C to copy to the clipboard. Then go to the first cell where you want to copy this section to. Click once on the cell, press <ctrl>V and you're done.

You might want to examine the timings at this point to make sure that your copied section still lines up exactly with the music.

Hope that helps.

D.T.

Ugh...can you hear me slapping my forehead from here? :rolleyes: Why I didn't think of that is beyond me, and I even work with MS Excel a lot. I kept thinking click, hold and drag. Total brain fart on clicking, shift/clicking.

Thanks D.T! I agree with the concern to make sure it all lines up. I think it will, but I'll play around with it to be sure. I'm trying to keep this one fairly simple and straightforward since it's my first attempt. I don't know too many fancy tricks yet, but practice makes perfect. So this is mostly lights on/off, simple fade up/down, chase, shimmer, etc...

Sounds like you have a handle on it Klay. Good luck with your first sequence. It is really rewarding to see when those lights come on for the first time, and all that effort comes to fruition. Keep at it. I'm sure you will do great.

D.T.

Ugh...can you hear me slapping my forehead from here? :rolleyes: Why I didn't think of that is beyond me, and I even work with MS Excel a lot. I kept thinking click, hold and drag. Total brain fart on clicking, shift/clicking.

Thanks D.T! I agree with the concern to make sure it all lines up. I think it will, but I'll play around with it to be sure. I'm trying to keep this one fairly simple and straightforward since it's my first attempt. I don't know too many fancy tricks yet, but practice makes perfect. So this is mostly lights on/off, simple fade up/down, chase, shimmer, etc...

Actually you can click and drag to whereever you want. I do it that way all the time. Click on the section of song, drag the mouse to the right PAST the sequence up/down scroll bar and stop at the end of the section I want to copy, once all highlighted, I copy it and then paste into where I want it to go.

So click and drag does work, but if you don't know to drag the mouse pointer past the up/down scroll bars off the end of the SE screen, you'll think it won't go all the way to where you want it too. But it does, again, I use the click and drag method all the time. So it can be done, just gotta know how to do it, that's all. ;)