Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC problem

Guest guest

For those of you keeping score at home: I ordered 8 kits - 6 for me and 2 for a friend of mine. Mine are OK but today my friend brought his two units over to test.

One works fine. The other one powers up and the LED flashes normally. I was able to assign the unit ID successfully. Unfortunately, NONE of the channels work. Dead-a-mundo.

An inspection of the board indicates that everything is installed correctly and securely soldered. Nothing appears to be backwards or shorted.

I've never seen a completely DOA board and the fact that it DOES respond to the programming leads me to believe that, uh, well, I have no idea what.

Any ideas as to what we should check?

It sounds like a possible problem between the processor (U2) and the latches (U4 & U5) that control the outputs. If you can see the back of the board, inspect it closely for solder bridges.

You can also carefully touch the top of U2, U4, and U5 and see if they are hot. (Be careful not to touch something with 120V on it!)

ChuckHutchings wrote:

[snip]
I've never seen a completely DOA board and the fact that it DOES respond to the programming leads me to believe that, uh, well, I have no idea what.

Any ideas as to what we should check?

Get the firmware from the online support page and update it on the controller. Perhaps something has gone whacky with the firmware?

If that does not help then double check R30, R31 and C4... Those componets enable the latches and do affect all 16 channels.