Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Channel Confusion?!?!

johnson8ryley

A few weeks ago I learned how to add similar devices to that of a CCR in LOR 3.6.0 Advanced. I've got one song half way done but I'm kind of panicking now as I'm not sure if I set this up correctly. I have 3 of the following strip:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

One strip gives me 150 channels or 50 rgb channels.

Now, logic would say 150x3=450 channels.

(150 channels multiply 3 strips)

Except I have 456 channels:

aWt5N.png

Now, each strip has 50 channels inside LOR Sequence Editor which is I'm mind boggled right now

First strip is channel 1-50, 2nd strip is channel 51-101, 3rd strip is 102-152

Just for reference, here's a screenshot of rgb channel 67:

Z3u8C.png

Is this setup right?

I just need straightening out as to if this is correct or not.

These strips will be hooked up to each other, one after another, and will receive there own signal (not repeat the same thing as the previous strip) but a big question I have is, in the editor, when it goes from channel 50 to the next arch, would the channel be considered channel 51 or would it be considered channel 1? Currently, when the first arch ends, it jumps from 50 to 51 and when the 2nd arch ends it jumps from 101 to 102. Do the strips run in sequence or does it go 1.1 - 1.50 , 2.1 - 2.50 , 3.1 - 3.50? I'm sorry if none of this makes sense. Just explaining this is making me confused. Please, if you need me to elaborate more, don't hesitate to ask. I need a answer asap so can either fix my current song or keep going. Thanks guys.

how did you add the rgb channels? are they dmx or did you add a ccd device? if you added a ccd device then it will add macro channels that you won't need ,but you are correct you need 450 channels so either way delete the 6 channels you wont use

I added dmx channels. And yes, thats what I was thinking, I only needed 450 channels but how did I get there if I added only a total of 450 channels? I went in, told it to add 450 channels, and then grouped them into 50 channels each (for rgb sake) and then I ended up with what I have in my above pictures.

not sure, I don't have much dmx experiance,however I can tell you as far as the units go, one universe will be all you will need, so the rgb channels will go from 1.1 to 1.450 does that make sense?

Yes thank you that answers a huge question I had. I'm just waiting for some other people to post and see what they say about my channels. Maybe I have duplicate channels. As in, maybe I have two channel 54's. Something along those lines

what device are you using to control the strips? Something from SanDevices or J1SYS or something else?

Depending on what you connect them to, and how you wire them, either numbering could be correct. Except if each is really only 50 pixels, it would be 1-50, 51-100, and 101-150. Or are you saying that Ray built the strips with 50,51, and 51 pixels?

I bought a ECG-P2 from J1SYS.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say Ray built the strips with 50,51, and 51 pixels.

For reference, I'm installing these strips as arches and they will be lined up one after another, all connected to the same ECG-P2 controller.

But yes, currently my rgb channels are as followed:

Arch 1: 1-50

Arch 2: 51-101

Arch 3: 102-152

Which makes sense because that would equal 50 rgb channels per arch or 150 channels total.

So maybe I was right all along?

I'm still very much confused. Each arch has 50 channels yet i have a max of 456 channels. Also, heystew, it can't be 51-100 because that would be 49 channels.

heystew is correct. instead of subtracting the channels, count from 1 to 50 = 50 count from 51-100 = 50 and so on...

I'm looking at my Sequence right now and that's how it set up. 1-50, 51-100, 101-150,151-200 and 201-250 = 750 RGB channels for 250 pixels. 5 different elements, 50 pixels each

Edited by John Slade

How does that work? If you add 50 to 51 you get 101 and if you subtract 51 from 100 you get 49. How is it not 51-101? I'm not trying to disprove you, I just dont understand how it would be 51-100. Simple math would say 100-51=49

count it up... 51 is 1, 52 is 2, 53 is 3 and so on...

more so... if you take 1-50 should that then be 49 pixels, 50-1=49, but its not, its 50

Edited by John Slade

OHHHH. You're very right. John, I needed someone to lay it out for me instead of just telling me what it was.

Thanks so much guys.

OHHHH. You're very right. John, I needed someone to lay it out for me instead of just telling me what it was.

Thanks so much guys.

COOL!!!! :)

Now, I'm gonna PM you my phone number, please tell my wife that! :D :D

Thanks everyone for the help. I had enough time to go in and get my rgb channels sorted out and thankfully it only took about 5mins to go in and fix my mistake. Love LOR and ACL forums.

thats higher math.. goes right up there with:

If John buys:

4 controllers, at $250 each, and

4 CCRs, at $250 each and

12 cases of pixel strings at $42 each

How much money will he have left for attorneys fees and alimoney? :P