Light-O-Rama Forums

Where do you put your LOR box with your mega tree

Guest guest

I was wondering when you use your channels for your mega tree where you put them. I am going to use 27 channels, so that's 2 boxes and I was going to put them in the middle of the tree so that I don't have to use "to many" extension cords. I would have to run cords further to the other ones, but I wouldn't have to witht he 1 channel of strobes and the 24 channels for the tree. I still would for the 2 channels on the star, but that's better in my eyes then putting the box far away from everything.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to putting this up this year for the first time.

Rob

You have the right idea. I do the same thing why waste cords. I do it for other things besides megatrees as well like my roof and bushes. I usually loacte the boxes central to as many channels as I can reach.

Rob,

Some put it in the middle. I put it off to the back about 15 ft away behind a hedge. I made custom channel extention cords then found cheap 25 footers to run to the LOR box. My reasoning to do this, if I had to trouble shoot the box, it would be easier to get to this way, versus having to somehow climb into the middle of the tree. I have a Darryl Mega Tree. I may make some sort of decorative enclosure and incorporate it into the mega tree display. One person here on PC, made some "guard shacks" with blow mold soldiers. I thought that was cool, and am thinking of doing something along these lines. My 2 cents.

Mark

I mount mine on (plastic) saw horses, around the middle of the tree.

I use 4 boxes, each with one CTB16D, as I have a 64 channel tree.

For pictures go to my website, under the megatree section.

Greg

I mounted 32 channels of mine to the center of the tree for 2 colors on the body. I still needed to bring in 3 more channels from up by the house for the star & strobes.

Christmas%20Show%20Pictures%20001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Cdshakes wrote:

does anyone have it locked any way? kinda nervous about having the LOR unit out...

Colin

I'm not going to say were mine were mounted/placed. However, the containers were locked, and the secured via alternative methods.

I had no indications that people tried to get to the controllers, but you can't be too careful.

Guest guest

How in the heck do you get to the boxes if there toward the center ot the tree? Dont have LOR but my AL boxes (3) are about ten feet behind the mega tree. Just in case theres a problem.

Bill

Guest guest

Bill V wrote:

How in the heck do you get to the boxes if there toward the center ot the tree? Dont have LOR but my AL boxes (3) are about ten feet behind the mega tree. Just in case theres a problem.

Bill

I never had any reason to get to my boxes. I hung the boxes & ziptied all of the cords in place before putting up the lights. Once the lights were up there was no need to get to them until the end of the year. If I had to access them though, I could have slid some of the lights out of the way pretty easily.

Guest guest

DanV wrote:

Bill V wrote:

Bill

I never had any reason to get to my boxes. I hung the boxes & ziptied all of the cords in place before putting up the lights. Once the lights were up there was no need to get to them until the end of the year. If I had to access them though, I could have slid some of the lights out of the way pretty easily.
And what is the benifit of mounting in the tree?

Guest guest

Bill V wrote:

DanV wrote:
Bill V wrote:

Bill

And what is the benifit of mounting in the tree?

I didn't have any where else handy to mount them without cords running all over. The majority of the cords were mounted to the tree & never came in contact with the ground. The boxes were also up off the ground. At night time you couldn't really tell they were there. Maybe having them inside the tree deterred people from tampering with them because they are harder to get at.

Guest guest

A big benefit of having the boxes inside the tree is shorter extension cords. I used pipe clamps (U-bolts) that went around the pipe and placed the nuts inside the box. I then screwed the front on the box -- I use homemade boxes of wood.

Guest guest

If they want the controllers, they will get them. But I do mount them on the center pole. I do not let the plugs touch the ground to help prevent current leakage.