Light-O-Rama Forums

Custom light Flurries

Guest guest

I know I saw a post on here a while back (about 2 years ago), where someone was working on a custom Light Flurries setup and design. I remember the post was more about the LOR servo control than the actual Light Flurries.

The pic that was posted, featured a large spot light "standing" vertical with a small mirror ball with the servo motor near the lens of the light.

I have seen no mention of it, and I was curious if it worked. I wanted to do something like that for this year.

Thanks,

MikeZ also did this with his moving head, an idea I plan to appropriate.

He just mounted the mirrored ball above the moving head and send the dmx command to point the moving head at the mirrored ball when he wants to show the light flurry effect.

attachment.php?id=7539

Lots of advantages here:
1) supports any color the moving head supports, so not just white
2) supports any gobo (image/shape) the moving head supports
3) 250 watts, so plenty bright.

I already have a light flurries unit, so I plan to use the ball and motor from it.

I have a light flurries, but got it after 2006. While I liked the "snowfall" effect, having the light shining toward the street is less than optimal. Looking at that last picture, I can see how to fix that problem, plus maybe use a brighter light.

Thanks for posting the pic. JonB

JonB256 wrote:

having the light shining toward the street is less than optimal.

I had the same thought when I bought my 2 units. I don't recall who it was that suggested (Ted, Joe Ayo..?) to add a piece of PVC to better direct the light toward the mirrorball. Whoever it was stated that it was a Walter Monkhouse trick. It worked very well to keep the glare from the pin spot from shining into the eyes of someone looking at the display. I simply heated a piece of 3/4" or 1"(I don't remember which...sorry) schedule 40 with a propane torch turned way down low. Then used the insert from the pin spot to shape the PVC to match. I epoxied it to the insert and painted it black with Krylon Fusion. I cut it to about 10" long and installed it on the pin spot. With it placed about 4' away from the ball you are barely able to tell it is there, and it didn't change the brightness of the light very much at all.

jeff

Could someone give me a heads up on "light flurries"? I am looking to do something with a device that would act like a mirror ball effect in on disco dance floor! Does the light flurry resemble this? Pics and a design or web page to purchase these would be nice. If a PM is better please PM me. Thanks

They look like mirror balls with a light that you direct towards your house. It gives the effect that snow is falling. You can look at it by going to ebay and typing in light flurries under search. It will give you a picture and a description of what and how it works.