Light-O-Rama Forums

What curtain strobes are people using with LOR?

Guest guest

Looking for a listing of curtain strobes people use with LOR in their displays. I love the effects but have had the ones I use all strobing in sync.

What are people using?

THanks-
RW

I know those are sold. But they are not rated for outdoor use and I live in a very WET area (Gulf Coast).
My question goes back to what are YOU using? How are they working for you?

My thoughts are to get a list of the different types and brands people are using and to be able to compare them as to function, quality, and price.

Thanks for the reply.

RW

RW, the link to Christmas Light Show is what a lot of us are using, outdoors. I live in Seattle and used em this year. Most strobes will state that they are not outdoor, but you can use them. I drilled a weep hole to allow water to drain if needed. You will find Darryl's are high quality, although he is currently out of stock, and ordering them. He said he should have them within a few months.

and I'm on that waiting list. (but in Texas, I'm not so worried about the rain)

If someone buys all his stock before I get mine, I better not find out who it was!!!!! :)

From what I have heard you cnat keep waer out of them you just have to make the water a way out. I belive I heard that the water will get in ethier way due to condensation. I think you are supposed to put a tiny hole n the strobe to creat an exit for the water to drain.

I have never used these but have heard a lot about tham and was thinking about doing them this year but not sure yet

Hope this helps. Mabey someone can Elaborate on this

Ricky

Yes I've actually had two people PM and tell me they get wet in the rain and don't work.
To solve it, one used silicone and another offered liquid electrical tape that he stated worked.
They both liked the look and would buy more but know they take work to get 'show ready'.

Maybe someone will come up with a better solution.

I don't think the moisture issue is due to rain but more condensation. If you place the strobes in a fixed upright position then there is no way rain can get in. However, condensation does get in and it needs a way to escape thus the hole in the bottom. I do remember in my constant reading on this site that Krylon makes a clear spray paint that you can actually spray the boards and water will no longer be a problem. I think some member named ZAC? actually submerged his strobes in water and they still worked.

I did see where this Darryl guy sells strobes that screw in C7 and C9 sockets.
Hope this helps.

If there is a hole here in the Gulf SOuth, rain will get in. Period. Of course, condensation is a huge problem with our temperature range and average humidity and I understood they condensed in the cover.

Was just hoping someone had a better solution!

But thanks for all the posts!

RW

FB

I used these strobes from Darryl Brown all through the 2006 Christmas Season. He suggested that I drill 2 small weep holes in the lens if they were to be hung lens down. It rained heavily several times during the time 50 of them were hanging inside my mega tree. There was no problem with wet weather on these strobes. They look great when lit, and I ran all 50 on a single LOR channel. They light off in a way that seems to make them chase down my string of All-Americal Lighting C9 cord. There have been some issues with the type of cord used on these strobes, yhe AAL cord seems to be the one that works.

jeff

I noticed on Darryl's website it says (not water proof) beside the link where you can click to be notified when the new batch arrives. Are the new ones going to be different or were the old strobes not waterproof as well?

The old ones were not water proof either according to people here. They drill holes and such to let the water drain and some seemingly seal the electronics parts.

I was just hoping there was another solution to this.

Thanks-
RW

I must be confused. Looking at the strobes from Darryl, it says they are not made for outside, but apparently have been modified to be usable. Here is the verbage I am reading

* Water resistant. The lens cover contains an oil ring and screw wholes at the bottom have silicone placed in the screw holes. Although these strobes are not made for out side, they will not get water inside. These strobes were submerged (extreme test) under water for several days and only a little moisture got inside. Since new strobes are so air tight they should help prevent build up of condensation, but have not been tested yet. We have tested them in a freezer for days and they have not accumulated any signs of moisture.

Maybe some folks that have used them are still having water issues??

Bottom line - Darryl's strobes are made for "our" holiday displays. They are not water proof, but this is not a show stopping issue for your display. Follow Darryl's instructions and you will have the "right" strobe effect that will last many years. Myself and Bill V use hundreds of Darryl's strobes and we intend to add more. Look at past threads last year where people were begging for Darryl's sold out strobes. Be early on your order this year or sit on the sideline and watch.

Darryl's strobes are good!

I used Darryl's strobes this past season and they worked great. In fact, they flash more frequently than any other strobe I saw in a store creating a better effect. It rained twice here in Arizona (yes, it does rain in the desert every now and again in between 70 degree days :laughing:) over the season and my strobes hang in my trees and they did just fine.

I'll be buying many more this year.

Brian

I too drill holes in the curtain strobes I bought from http://www.christmaslightshow.com/xcart/product.php?productid=54&cat=11&page=1

My strobes did condensate this year. I hang them from the trees and Mother Nature always wins!!!

Bottom line for me is to buy more than you need and if a couple of them die, replace them with new ones. At the price for which Daryl sells the curtain strobes, I can go on to bigger and more expensive problems.

Charles