Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR question for newbie

Guest guest

OK guys, finally decided to take the plunge and order at least one or two controllers to "play" with before stepping up for more channels closer to the season. Have a few newbie questions so hopefully I wont make any mistakes.

Looking at the LOR Showtime 16 Channel package to start. LOR1602W. Any comments on this? The remaining controllers I want to purchase will be the PC-CTB16PC-Complete. Web site says the board is complete and with a few hand tools, the unit can be put together. Any comments on this. Is this the right approach? Looking to start off with 32 to 64 channel and build from there.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mark C.

I consider the LOR1602W to be the workhorse of the product lineup - I have 11 of them, acquired over 3 years. I prefer standardizing on a single model so I can easily swap units in or out if need be. You won't be disappointed.

Personally, I think 32 channels is more than sufficient to start with. That's a workable number of channels to contend with in the sequence editor and provides enough channels to try out lots of effects and arrangements.

i orderd the showtime 32 channel pkg. 2wks. ago really impressed by the quality of the product.will more than likley order an additional 16 ch.controller later.i think you would be plesed by these controllers.

TxFireCop wrote:

OK guys, finally decided to take the plunge and order at least one or two controllers to "play" with before stepping up for more channels closer to the season. Have a few newbie questions so hopefully I wont make any mistakes.

Looking at the LOR Showtime 16 Channel package to start. LOR1602W. Any comments on this? The remaining controllers I want to purchase will be the PC-CTB16PC-Complete. Web site says the board is complete and with a few hand tools, the unit can be put together. Any comments on this. Is this the right approach? Looking to start off with 32 to 64 channel and build from there.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mark C.

Mark,
you ask about comments on the PC-CTB16PC-Complete... I just completed putting mine together and I was most pleased with them. Instructions are very good, but make sure you read them and don't just start putting together by the color picture included in the instructions. For example they show a photo of the unit with the cords and strain relief mounted. If you read the picture caption it says not to install yet. You will have a much easier time getting the power cables through if it's not mounted. I also suggest placing the grounds on the long screw (part of strain relief) before mounting in the box as well. Plan on about an hour and 1/2 to assemble the first kit and an hour for each one after that. The kits is great, the LOR team did a great job with these, and I'm sure I will be purchasing more of them over the years to come.

-Patrick

Hey Mark

I have several things for you. I took the jump to computer controls with 56 channels and did a mega tree and made some multi circuit C7 lights for the trim in my yard. I do think you will have any problems getting to know you LOR products or getting you programing set and working. I started very late in the year and the bigest problem i had was finishing the program to run the lighting for the tree. I just waited too long to work on the sequence but did have it finished several weeks before the season.

A few tips.

1. LOR makes a very good product and they stand behind their product.

2. Get the trial version of the software and play with it. This way for can start to play with the sequence editor and learn the ins and outs of the program.

3. Get an idea of what you want to do for a display and then calculate the number of channels you will need.

4. Order a 16 channel board Complete or and assembled board. and play with it. You will need the complete software program to make the controllers work it wont work with the trial version. After you have had fun with the 16 channel board you will see that it is very easy and then you will want to add to you set-up.

LOR will be having a sale soon and you can purchase everything you need then.

Also being that you are in the great state of Texas you should look into joining TexasChristmasLights. This is a great group of people and you have a vast amount of knowledg to draw from. Here is a link http://www.texaschristmaslights.com

Feel free to email or pm me if you have any questions.

Anthony

Thanks guys for all of the info. I have already finished one sequence and have several more to go. Just finished adding three more circuits today for my controllers and cant wait to get them. Once again, Thanks for the info.

Mark C.

One more question. What type of adaptor is best...serial or USB and if USB, which one? The standard or the one with the boostr. May go wireless next year. The distance from my computer to the controller will not be over 30 feet. Thanks for the help.

Mark C.

I used the serial adapter and had no problems.

Also if you order the complete kit with software controllers and all you will get you choice of the adapter. When you do this get the longest cable you can get and then you can make the cable to the length you need. I did this for all the cable I needed.

Anthony

I don't think one is better than the other, both serial and USB run at the same speed, yes technically USB is faster than serial, but in XP the USB adapter is shown as a COM device and it's set to the same bps as the serial interface.

So since performance is not an issue, it boils down to a few basic questions?
1. Is price an issue: If so get the less expensive serial adapter.
2. Are easy Linkers in your future: If so I would invest now in the USB device.
3. Distance to the first device: Serial is shorter distance. If this is a concern then go with the smaller USB adapter.

Just my quick thoughts.
Patrick

Thanks guys...everyone here has been great !!! Sorry im so new to this and ask so many questions. I try to search but sometimes cant find what Im looking for. Once again, thanks for all the help.

Mark C.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the plunge and bought the 64 channel package, and i'm using one unit right now to play with, have been using the trial version since January, and have 2 songs done. :waycool: