Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB programming is hard!

Daryl Hurd

Ouch... With a desire to have at least 3-4 songs putting on a 10-15 minute show I realize now that sequencing is going to be a big part of my life for the next couple of months. After working for two days on sequencing my first song with RGB's I am finally done with the 1 minute song...

Right now I am working with over 900 channels in just 4 RGB props. It is amazing the effects you can do but it is also so amazing on how long it takes to sequence them.

One thing that really seems to make life easier is to group the different props and their individual lines. For example I have a 4 string tree, each string having 33 pixels. I have sub-grouped each of the 33 pixels under the tree group and so when I need to program just one string I can hide the rest and just focus on that.

If you have never played with groups in LOR, I am betting you will really want to if you dive into RGB's.

Groups are a way of life at this stage. I have multiple groups for the same props, under the fade left group I just drag out the color and the whole prop fades left and so on.

I wouldnt say its hard to do, but very time consuming. With 2k pixels on the house for this year I have my hands full for a few shows. Im slowly working my way into it.

This is where either LOR needs to open up Superstar for E1.31 support, or you need to leverage Nutcracker, Madrix, Vegomatic, Light Factory etc.....

Those will make life easier.

Working on 3k pixels(just purchased), dmx and lor stuff. It is time consuming thats why I havent been on here for the past few months. Only coming on here to just downloading the software and back to work. I would even go as to making multiple tracks and groups. Never used tracks until few months back. One one song I have many groups and 4 tracks for colors, one track for DMX, one track for pixels, ect. Keep up the good work goofy. I cant wait to see your display.

It works with RGB just fine, it really is just more time consuming than hard.

In the old days of LOR, you only had to program 1 channel for a light or a light string and now that you can change colors on them, it just adds more time to program.

Before RGB came along, 512 channels was a huge display.. Now 512 channels can be just 1 prop.

zman wrote:

This is where either LOR needs to open up Superstar for E1.31 support, or you need to leverage Nutcracker, Madrix, Vegomatic, Light Factory etc.....

Those will make life easier.

I am just finding Nutcracker does not work well enough for me... One of the limits of Nutcracker currently is max 130 pixels and 10 seconds.

Unfortunely I have 132 in the one prop that Nutcracker would really help with. So I still end up having to program the extra pixels which would seem simple but can be hard because of the fades and "randomness" Nutcracker has.

In talking with Sean, it sounds like he is going to really overhaul Nutcracker and get it to a place I will be able to use it.

I certainly encourage everyone that uses Nutcracker to donate to his cause! It is well worth it!

As for the others, I am just starting to look at them to see what they bring to the table before I decide to switch at this point.

Daryl

Superstar already can do pixles, regular lights, as well LOR stuff. You just need the license level to do it.

Im no pro and Im sure Ill see those comments in a minute, I have 2 props will 2400 channels each for Christmas display already built and tested. No issues there, all kinds of craziness in those props.

Nutcracker helps in some areas, Bob-O's tools are a great help as well. If you are not familiar with both of thier tools then you havent been around long enough to realize that they are not replaceable in terms of helpful software. Between these 2 guys theres no much you can have automated on your display.

Keep reading through the RGB threads, the info in there is like gold. In the right hands its worth millions, in the wrong hands its just hard toilet paper.

Sequencer makes colors super easy, chasing and fading through colors easy, heck its just easy. There is no hard work in sequencing just a lot of time. Im sure the Veterans here agree sequencing is a matter of time. The props and setup are the work.