Light-O-Rama Forums

Visualizer slow?

Jim Hans

I just got around to setting up the visualizer for my show. First off, I havev to say that it is great! Easy to set up and it looks much better than the old way. And a big thanks to all the people that uploaded fixtures and props.. you saved me a ton of time. Anyway, that leads to my problem.

When I play my sequences from last year in the visualizer, the lights are slow by a fraction of a second. In the sequence editor they are spot on, visualizing the "old" way, they are spot on, and running them live last year they were spot on. So why are the lights a bit behind the music?

So is it my computer or a setting I am missing? While I love the way the new visualizer shows me the lights I hesitate using to check my sequences because it is off. I am running S3 software and Windows 7 on a two year old PC. Anyone have this happen or know how to fix it?

You may need to upgrade your graphics card. I know I have too also. Adding more ram did nothing for me, or not enough to notice. When playing the visualizer, in SE under PLAY, turn off move grid with play and the other options for the timing to improve. Less stuff for the computer to deal with.

one thing I do on my laptop is when looking at just the visualizer I uncheck everything except control visualizer. works well for me my laptop is pretty old

What is the size of your .lee file? I have been tweaking all of my props and fixtures this year to lower the size of each, it helps with playback, at least for me on a netbook, although it's not so noticeable on the desktop.

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem on my desktop, but not my laptop. My desktop's specs are 4-years old (old Quad core), but the graphics card was upgraded about 2 months ago. My laptop is an Alienware m17x r3 - so, it's a freakin beast! I'm looking to upgrade my processor, motherboard, and possibly another graphics card. If I can remember, I'll repost whether this fixes the problem for me....

I finally got my new graphics card and it did make a noticeable improvement. It's a Nvidia GeForce GT 520 card, about $50 from Newegg. I would consider this as a minimum graphics card. with all options still on, it will still miss a little, but definately better than my old card.

Last season when I first started, I was worried about that too. Visualizer slow, Grid in perfect time. Once I got the display up and ran a few sequences, everything was in time. May just be the limitations of the Visualizer or the graphics card as mentioned above. I'm not knocking it, by no means. The Visualizer has been more important to me than anything.

Set up a controller and some lights and test a sequence. That way you'll know for sure. Hope this helps,

Ron

Edited by Ron Boyd

The single best thing you can do to make the visualizer faster is to reduce the size, in both K and dimensions, of the background image. The dimension is much more important of the 2, but both help. Smaller backgrounds always make for faster visualizations.

If you have a photo editing program (like Paint Shop Pro or the like), save your image as a JPEG. When you do, you'll be asked how much compression to use. By increasing the compression, you decrease the file size (at the expense of resolution).