Light-O-Rama Forums

Apple, Parallels, S3

Ponddude

I have just blown up my 3rd Windows based computer in a year and I just can not stand the quality anymore. I have been to Dell, I have been to HP, I have been to Lenovo and they are just garbage IMO. I use Apple everything when it comes to devices. I have a MacBook Pro, an iPhone, an iPad and I would like to add an iMac to my collection.

However, the main reason I stuck with a Windows based machine is simply because of my LOR shows. However, my father uses Parallels on his iMac and things work well for him. Has anyone tried running their show with Parallels through an iMac? If it works, I am off to the Apple Store right now to pick up a new iMac.

Has anyone tried this?

Greg

I just set up boot camp and windows 7 on my mac book pro a few weeks ago, and I have not had any problems yet. The only thing that i have done so far is programing.

I have several Mac's, including a 27" iMac. I run Parallel's on the iMac, and that is what I do my sequencing on. I do run my shows on a Windows 7 laptop dedicated to doing just that. Nothing more. And it handle's that fine. But that's all I let it do. I would run the show from the iMac, but I find myself editting sequences all thru show season, so I can't really run the show and edit the sequences at the same time (or at least I don't think you can...).

Has anyone actually run a show with an Apple computer? That is what I am really looking for here.

I have a Macbook AIR with Parallels/Win7 that is my every day computer. I have LOR on it that I sequence with, and I have ran my (smaller) Halloween show from it, but I have no doubt it would run the bigger show flawlessly.
Well, as flawless as Microsoft will allow. I still find I have to reboot my machine occasionally after using Windows.
I went the parallels route rather than bootcamp as I have become unaccustamued to rebooting/shutting down. Thinking with bootcamp, you'd still have the lockups so I'll stick with Parallels.

Bought both Parallels and Windows 7 on amazon - seems they are almost always on sale as a package.

Thanks Andy. That is what I was looking for. I don't plan on doing a show this year...just too busy...but I need the software for testing.

Time to head to the Apple store!

Greg

Ponddude wrote:

Thanks Andy. That is what I was looking for. I don't plan on doing a show this year...just too busy...but I need the software for testing.

Time to head to the Apple store!

Greg

Greg,

You might want to hold off getting the Mac since all of them are really close to the end of the there model cycle. New models will be coming out soon so the current one will see a drop in pricing. It's then your choice between the older on the newer ones.

Check out this link for more information: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

OMT, keep an eye out for Parallels specials. I've never paid more than $49 by watching for the specials. I think there may be some going on right now. Also, if you purchase from MacConnection or one of the other major etailers many times they'll have special pricing on Parallels if ordered at the same time. Also, get AppleCare, it's well worth the price especially if your a new mac user.

John
Happy Mac owner since the 80's.

Thanks John,

I frequent that site a lot and have been using Apple products for as long as I can remember. I was going to run out and get one simply because I thought my HP was beyond repair, but after 3 days of work I got it back up and running...by some miracle. My iMac is still on the agenda but I will just wait until the new one is released.

Greg

Greg,

Nice to see another Mac user here.

You never know if your talking to a new or old Mac user when someone is ready to buy so I caution on the safe side when it's near a model change.

Mac users rule:D

John

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've run S3 on a MacBook Pro (OS X Lion - Ver. 10.7.4) with VMWare Fusion Versions 4 and 5.0.1 with good success. I run a Windows XP Professional x86 (32 bit) virtual machine just to keep things simple.

I use an iMac with Parallels to do my sequencing and have run test shows using my MacBook pro also running parallels. They are only test runs in the garage with only 16 channels though. I have windows 7 installed using bootcamp and then get parallels to run the bootcamp version of Win7 when running in OSX. That way I have the option of either running windows within OSX or booting the machine directly into Win7. The last thing I need is two versions of windows on my Mac- one is enough! :-)

I run S3 on my 2007 MacBook using VMWare. I mostly sequence with it but have certainly run shows with it, too. Works fine. I run a very slimmed down XP installation (called TinyXP) to keep the overhead low. I generally run my shows from an old, garage sale Win box just so my Mac is freed up for regular use. It is set up with the same TinyXP.

• 5 months later...

Greetings to you all, good and fine Mac users! 

I am a newbie. Currently running S3 on a tiny Sony VAIO VGN-TT230N.  Running Win 7 Pro. 

I would like to transistion to my MacBook Pro ASAP.  Have any of you had problems, concerns or valuable advice to share in using the USB485 adapter? 

Hopefully someone will notice this thread based on its age...

Thanks to all!

Greetings to you all, good and fine Mac users! 

I am a newbie. Currently running S3 on a tiny Sony VAIO VGN-TT230N.  Running Win 7 Pro. 

I would like to transistion to my MacBook Pro ASAP.  Have any of you had problems, concerns or valuable advice to share in using the USB485 adapter? 

Hopefully someone will notice this thread based on its age...

Thanks to all!

I've been programming my display on my Mac Book Pro for years using Bootcamp. The only problem you may have is the com ports may jump around most every time you hook-up, or when you have to disconnect and reconnect. For some reason the way it deals with com ports while in emulation is different then a dedicated Windows PC.

• 3 weeks later...

I run S3 on iMac via VirtualBox. I have found VirtualBox to have the most stable interface support. I have had no issues. And the price is right (VirtualBox is open source)

• 8 months later...