Light-O-Rama Forums

Private Sequencing Lessons

bgwyn

Hello I am a newbie to animation. I will be purchasing 4 LOR Controllers in a few weeks and I am super pumped to turn my static Christmas into an animated masterpiece. I have talked to Drew Hickman and the closest LOR workshop is in Denver, CO and only 4 people have signed up.....ARG! I want to get started soon so I will be ready by Thanksgiving. Is there anyone within 8 hrs driving distance from the Texas Panhandle who might give me some private sequencing lessons (weekend) so I get a nice start to this hobby? I would like someone to help me plan my design and then teach me some software sequencing tricks of the trade. I can go to you or possibly you to me might be best.

There will be a S3 class at the Ultimate Academy in Conroe TX. I thought is was Drew who was doing the class. Check it out at www.theultimateacademy.com

Yes I know about the academy and it was very attractive to me. But Drew told me I would be better off in the 2 day class in Denver since the academy's class will be full of experienced hobbyist and they will be moving pretty fast. Price is negotiable.;)

Monkey see, monkey do (and the monkey do part is the most important--just biting the bullet and playing with it is the most useful).

Watch each of these videos, and then after each one open your sequence editor and do what you just saw in the video. Doubt you will learn this much in the class, and you can rewind/replay the video as much as you need (unlike the class). Lot cheaper, and takes a lot less time. I think that you will realize that it isn't as intimidating as you thought it would be.

http://www.lightorama.com/S3TutorialLinks.html

http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html#Quick_Start_Guides

I will throw in my endorsement for Surfing4Dough's recommendation.

It does look very intimidating and overwhelming when you first get into this, but if you go through some of the videos for tutorials and play with the software when you do, it becomes clearer pretty fast and you will be amazed at what you can do.
Just take it slow in the beginning and it will pick up as you grasp the basics and begin to see how it all works.
Don't try to understand the whole thing at once and you will see it does fall together pretty quickly as well as it gives you a real feeling for this and how much (or little) work you want to put into it.
This can get as elaborate as you make it or you can keep it fairly simple and still have an awesome display.

You can also pick up a couple of basic low channel count sequences from the boards or someone and play with them to learn with as well. Then you will see how some of the effects work and how to make them.

Your best bet in the long run is to just study things and tinker with this. You will get more out of it and it will make more sense to you as you learn it at your pace.
It really is not all that hard to do, but it can be very involved once you start to make some of the more advanced effects.

Bill

Me three...

I have long advocated for people to take the time to learn the software. Open a practice sequence, or use one that already exists, and go through EACH and EVERY menu and go through EACH AND EVERY item on each menu to see what everything does.

The point of the exercise is not to create a sequence - that comes after learning what the software can do. If you don't understand somethig make a note and bring those questions here.

It can be intimidating ONLY if you allow it to be. Take it one step at a time. By the time you finish working your way through each menu item, you'll know more than probably 85% of all the people who use the software. Then it becomes nothing more than simply a matter of practice.

From the "For what it's worth" department ...

There might be a one day class in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in mid-April. The details of which aren't yet set in stone, though.

bgwyn wrote:

I will try and thank you for the encouragement!! It would be nice for an experienced sequencer to hold my hand while I learn though...LOL.

George lives closer than me so I think he's your man.

George has been very helpful to me already. He is the bomb! If I lived closer to him we would be engaged by now:) And I will be looking out for that possible Dallas class which is reasonably close thanks Don:)

Don't think George is the hand holding kind of guy. Put I see surfing seems to keep answering, so maybe he's your hand holding guy.;) Just saying.

like the others said just start doing,some of the coolest stuff I did last year was just by putting in random chases and fades etc. remember just have fun with it,btw I already have taken George:)

bgwyn wrote:

Damn....It's true, all the good ones ARE taken!:P

Just keep in mind that flattery gets you EVERYWHERE!

There's always hope - even Peyton Manning got released...

Guest Don Gillespie

shfr26 wrote:

Don't think George is the hand holding kind of guy. Put I see surfing seems to keep answering, so maybe he's your hand holding guy.:P Just saying.

Now that is funny, I had no clue surf was like that:P as for George the jury is still out on him LOL

Don Gillespie wrote:

I had no clue surf was like that...

How can you?

We still don't even know for sure what sex (or even what species) he/she/them/it is...