Light-O-Rama Forums

Mannheim Steam Roller - Faeries

Amazn1

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to sequence the aboved referenced song and I'm having trouble determining if the timing is 3's or 4's. I'm not even sure that's the way to ask the question as I am not very musically enclined.

I used the beat wizard to give me timing marks but there are a lot of instinces where the beats are faster than the marks given so I want to add timing marks but what I have done so far just doesn't "feel" right.

Thanks for any help

If the song changes tempo a few times the timing marks may be off. If you can keep the beat in your head, use the tapper wizard and set your marks with that.

or try using the Beat Wizard AGAIN in those time frames where the beat changes...

first, delete all the timing marks in the time frame you are going to redo (or else you will have more marks than you really want)

then use the beat wizard in that time frame..

jimswinder wrote:

or try using the Beat Wizard AGAIN in those time frames where the beat changes...

first, delete all the timing marks in the time frame you are going to redo (or else you will have more marks than you really want)

Well, the problem is there is a cha, cha, cha, cha, cha, that goes through the whole song and seems to keep the same beat. However, there is a section that also has a bass that I think is a different beat so which beat will the wizard pick up? How do you delete timing marks in a certain time period? I looked under edit>timings but didn't see an option for that.

Amazn1 wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

Well, the problem is there is a cha, cha, cha, cha, cha, that goes through the whole song and seems to keep the same beat.

**Up in the upper right hand corner, there is a "block" titled "timings" with a pull down menu. Save the original timing marks such as "Cha Cha Cha". And after you create another timing in just a specific time frame, make it something else..then you change back ad forth between the two (or three, four , five...)**

However, there is a section that also has a bass that I think is a different beat so which beat will the wizard pick up? How do you delete timing marks in a certain time period? I looked under edit>timings but didn't see an option for that.

**Highlight the timings you want to delete and then right mouse button and select "Delete Selected Timings"**

Thanks again jimswinder, I had not used either of those options as last year was my first year and I didn't want to mess with that stuff yet. Not to mention I didn't know they even existed. I still have a ton to learn.

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy was written in 2/4 time (two beats per measure and a quarter note gets a count. I don't think it changed at all when done by Manheim Steamroller.

Amazn1 wrote:

CKSedg, now that's the answer I was looking for...no sure exactly what it means, but certainly the answer I wanted.

Time signatures are about the first thing you learn when studying music, and fundamentally one of the most important. Even if you know the notes, if you can't put them together in a time signature, you're out of luck in writing or performing music. Additionally, knowing the basics of music has definitely helped me in sequencing. If you know a song is three beats or four beats per measure, you can plan your props/elements to flow with the beat of the music better, I think.

We could have a lesson on music nomenclature and theory, but it would probably bore everyone to death and wouldn't serve much purpose here.

CKSedg wrote:

Amazn1 wrote:
CKSedg, now that's the answer I was looking for...no sure exactly what it means, but certainly the answer I wanted.

Time signatures are about the first thing you learn when studying music, and fundamentally one of the most important.  Even if you know the notes, if you can't put them together in a time signature, you're out of luck in writing or performing music.  Additionally, knowing the basics of music has definitely helped me in sequencing.  If you know a song is three beats or four beats per measure, you can plan your props/elements to flow with the beat of the music better, I think.

We could have a lesson on music nomenclature and theory, but it would probably bore everyone to death and wouldn't serve much purpose here.

I am just starting to take piano lessons, my kids got a key board for Christmas and I want to learn it. The lessons (I've had one) I'm taking are from a CD tutorial and the first thing they talk about is the time signatures. I'm hoping it will help me with my sequencing...we'll see.

Hey, let me know if I can help. I've taken many music classes, including theory. My second daughter is the best, and if I ever have questions (like the circle of 5ths), I ask her.