Light-O-Rama Forums

ourlightdisplay sequence download under court order

Bobbyp47

You don't have to "sell" to be in violation of what that banner graphic shows. You can still be in violation if you give stuff away that is copyrighted.

If you create a sequence and give it away, you haven't committed a crime, but if you give the music away WITH the sequence and the music is under copyright, then you have committed a crime of "piracy" per their rules and regulations.

If you create a sequence and SELL it, you have not committed a crime either, the crime comes in when you give or sell the music that may be under copyright.

Now if you RESELL or GIVE AWAY a sequence you purchased from elsewhere, then, yes, you have committed a crime because purchased sequences are not resellable or to be given away unless specific permissions have been given by the owner or seller of the sequence(s) to allow one to do so.

There is still a lot of grey area in this whole area, but they'll nab you for the least little occurrence if someone just happens to rat you out.

Orville wrote:

Now if you RESELL or GIVE AWAY a sequence you purchased from elsewhere, then, yes, you have committed a crime because purchased sequences are not resellable or to be given away unless specific permissions have been given by the owner or seller of the sequence(s) to allow one to do so.

Can you point me to the law that states this?

Just curious how such a blanket statement can be made, and/or what law applies...

If I buy a book, and then resell the book...I'm not breaking the law (am I?)....as long as I don't advertise it as my work..

DonFL wrote:

Orville wrote:

Can you point me to the law that states this?

Just curious how such a blanket statement can be made, and/or what law applies...

If I buy a book, and then resell the book...I'm not breaking the law (am I?)....as long as I don't advertise it as my work..

*Disclaimer - I am not now, nor have I ever been an attorney (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) :D The opinions expressed below are those of the author, and not necessarily a reflection of the beliefs of LOR, its owners or employees. Furthermore, there is no intent to bully, flame, provoke or otherwise annoy anyone on this forum.

Sounds like a pretty complicated area of law to me... I think the problem arises when you COPY and sell the purchased sequences... In the "book" scenario, as presented by DonFL above, I don't see a problem with reselling a book, as long as you haven't made a copy of it. If you've bought a sequence from someone, and make a copy of it to sell, then I see a problem. You're selling someone else's work and depriving him of sales (here, sales=income) that he is otherwise entitled to, and at the same time, you still have the benefit of the purchased sequence. With most software, you don't really "buy' it. You "license" it. Licensing gives you certain rights, including installing a certain number of copies, using it, backing it up, etc. Most well written end user license agreements (EULAs) prohibit the copying, selling or other redistribution of the software. Again... you did not BUY the software, you licensed it, and that limits your rights as to what you can do with it. (Does anyone ever really read the EULAs??)

Now, is a sequence considered "software"? When you buy it, are you "buying" it or are you "licensing" it? I have not purchased any sequences, so I do not know what the sellers are doing these days. If I were selling sequences, I'd be spelling out in a very detailed and precise EULA exactly what the buyer (licensee) would be able to do with that software (sequence).

Just my two bits worth (inflation, you know)...

D.T.

Valid point, though, the copyright question could make it as much an ethical/moral question as it would a legal question. Profiting or not profiting also plays a part.

Its obviously wrong, not condoning it, whether it is technically illegal, I'll leave to the attorneys.

I just thought I would throw that out so every be aware. I seen on TV some one downloaded 30 songs from limewire or something like that and now owe like 20 million which is just 'crazy'