Light-O-Rama Forums

I created this sequence today (my first one, alone)

JeremiahCurtis84

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Hey, they dont call me Stubby fer nuthin!! P-)

hmmm...I thought they DID call you Stubby for nothin'!!! :P

Mwhite7097 wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
This is just MY opinion and how I sequence...

I very rarely use ALL my elements in any given song/sequence
:P
It all depends on which one's are still standing.

LMAO...good one!!!

1511767.GIF

I cannot wait for it to get dark, so I can video tape my second sequence! I swear this one will blow the first one away! NIGHT AND DAY! Had I known about the visualizer sooner... I would have lost even more sleep then I am now! DOH

JeremiahCurtis84 wrote:

... I would have lost even more sleep then I am now! DOH
if you ain't losing sleep, then you are neither dedicated or addicted to this hobby... :P

I am about to post my second attempt! SADLY, it turned out better in the visualizer! GRRR! However, for my second attempt... it isn't that bad - can only get better each time!

JeremiahCurtis84 wrote:

I think I will continue to work on this sequence. :P

You are starting to come along. Can definitely tell you sequenced while watching your house (in the visualizer) on this one, which helped. One thing that might be making it more difficult for you too is song choice. Though you might like the sound of a song doesn't mean that it is a good song for sequencing. With time, you will start to be able to "see" the song in your head as you are listening to it. A good sequencing song should allow you to picture your display in your head flowing to the music. You will start to approach listening to all music in a different way once you start doing this--you will be driving in the car listening to the radio picturing each song synched to lights. A good song tends to not be too long and/or have a lot of variety in it (through the song, but not all at once or else it gets "busy"). Once you use more of those type of songs, you should be able to watch your display without music and easily/quickly be able to recognize the song just by watching. If not the right "type" of song, it is difficult to not just make it look like a bunch of blinky lights, and not much different than another song. I would encourage you to explore many more of the features of the sequence editor, such as fades, shimmers, and intensity settings. Again these help to make the display flow more rather than just blinky blinky. And when trying to match beats in the music, it is important that your on/offs match the beat well (precise), or else it becomes very noticeable. For example, during the repetitive chorus where they keep saying "party like a rock star" and you are trying to match the roof-gutter-gutter-pillars to the beat of that phrase, majority of the time it doesn't match it right on. Good idea in what you were trying to do there, but you got to make it match the beat right on---especially from the beginning. I suspect that you sequenced that pattern once and then copied and pasted it one after the other. That will work if the first pattern is precise and the tempo of the beat doesn't change throughout the song (doesn't seem to in this particular song). For example, I suspect that your pattern of roof->gutter->gutter->pillars is about 0.2 seconds slower than the music the first time. So as you repeat it, the 2nd time it becomes off another 0.2 seconds, so 0.4 total. Then next it is now off 0.6, etc. Eventually it seems to match back up. So this takes lots of time listening to that section of the song over and over and over again to get it just right (sometimes needing to slow down the music). I tend to put some empty rows in my sequence (not assigned to a channel) that I will put marks in it to match the key beats of the music--these are referred to as timing marks, which then you can match up your sequencing to those marks to make it more precise). It is for that reason that most agree that good sequencing can take 4-8 hours per minute of music. Focus on quality over quantity (# of sequences, lengths of songs, etc.) Download some sequences off of some of the download sites to see some examples of this and to get some ideas for different visual effects. Most importantly keep practicing. This isn't something you can rush. Keep tweaking and you will get the hang of it.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Strongly suggest you watch some of the tutorial videos. Even though the software version is a little old, the basics are the same:

http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html#Training_Presentations

Investing the time in reading will save you tons of time with sequencing.

Was this supposed to n
be included with my purchase? If not why and if it was I wonder where the wife put it when she opened the package???

Excuse me I have a ton of reading to do....trying to get the lights to actually work with the songs

thank You
Rob
:X