Light-O-Rama Forums

I created this sequence today (my first one, alone)

JeremiahCurtis84

It doesn't suck too bad at all - especially for a two-day sequencing veteran. Savor the feeling of pride - you've earned it.

The funny thing is - no matter how much you or anyone here thinks of it, if you keep practicing, by this time next year you'll shudder when you look at that video.

Merry Christmas!

Thank you! I really appreciate that. I am still trying to learn all the tricks and tools of the trade. I don't have a laptop, so I have to run in and out of the house while working on sequences.

That's not all bad - the exercise helps to fight off those extra pounds this time of year.

But when the neighbors start giving you crap about your lights still being up, or when you pull a hamstring and can't keep jumping up and running outside, then spend a few quality hours with either the old animation feature or the new Visualizer. Take the time to do a quality job of drawing in your lights and it will more than pay you back with increased sequencing speed and quality. Trust me. It will also pay you back during and after setup. Lots of people spend lots of time fine tuning after setup. I usually don't. (That doesn't mean I leave sequences alone - the ones I really like I'm always improving.) But my point is there are very few surprises that I NEED to do something about. I attribute that to my animation being so precise that I already know how it's going to look in the yard. As always, YMMV.

George Simmons wrote:

That's not all bad - the exercise helps to fight off those extra pounds this time of year.

But when the neighbors start giving you crap about your lights still being up, or when you pull a hamstring and can't keep jumping up and running outside, then spend a few quality hours with either the old animation feature or the new Visualizer. Take the time to do a quality job of drawing in your lights and it will more than pay you back with increased sequencing speed and quality. Trust me. It will also pay you back during and after setup. Lots of people spend lots of time fine tuning after setup. I usually don't. (That doesn't mean I leave sequences alone - the ones I really like I'm always improving.) But my point is there are very few surprises that I NEED to do something about. I attribute that to my animation being so precise that I already know how it's going to look in the yard. As always, YMMV.

I agree. This is even more true now with the new visualizer since it provides such an "accurate" preview of what the display will actually look like.

I honestly don't even know how to operate the visualizer, or any of that other stuff. I slowed the song down to it's slowest form and just tried to find a tempo and get all my lights going to it. It definitely needs tweaking and improving, but I am glad that I can say "I did it" :D

So any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JeremiahCurtis84 wrote:

So any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think we just gave you some above...

Start learning how to use the visualizer. There are just some things that you have to take the time to learn to walk before you can run (applies to other aspects of the LOR software too). There is a whole forum devoted to the visualizer. http://forums.lightorama.com/view_forum.php?id=77&sort_by=&page=1

I honestly can't begin to imagine starting sequencing without watching the animation/visualization every 10 seconds or so (otherwise you often will just end up with a bunch of blinky lights with not much organization to it). Have a year or two's experience, you will start to see it "in your head" better, but that takes a while.

This place is full of tips and advice. Some say it contains the total sum knowledge of every person in the entire synchronized lighting world. You'll have to decide that for yourself. But one of the oldest farts around here (who still seems to remember more than he forgets.) says he finds practically every answer to every question that people ask either in the LOR help files, the product manuals, or this forum. So don't hesitate to use every resource available - they're all there for a reason.

Strongly suggest you watch some of the tutorial videos. Even though the software version is a little old, the basics are the same:

http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html#Training_Presentations

Updated features to the software are demonstrated here:
http://forums.lightorama.com/forum95/28633.html

Two things that are often said to newbies around here is "buy lots of extension cords" and "do lots of reading". Investing the time in reading will save you tons of time with sequencing.

Not bad for your first attempt.
And to think that just a few days back you didn't even know how to get the lights to flash!

Good advice on things so far. You definitely will want to look at the visualizer and take the time to get your display lights set up in there. It really does make it much easier to sequence things.

And experiment and play around with things to see how they work. It will give you a better "feel" for the process.

Yea, doesn't it feel good to be able to say "Hey I did that" when you watch it? The feeling gets better when others compliment you as well as when you start increasing things (number of lights, channels, display elements, etc.).

Bill

JeremiahCurtis84 wrote:

Maybe someone can answer this for me. What do the Background and foreground effects do?

thanks

never mind, the link above explains it :)

Ok... So I watched, I read, I learned, and I feel I conquered my next sequence! I used that visual thing y'all spoke of! WOW, did it ever help! I am now confident that my second sequence is going to straight ROCK! I sequenced "Party Like a Rock Star" I will videotape it tonight and upload it for everyone to see.

that visual thing is awesome, makes it easier to sequence the lights according to your own setup, not someone eases, or having to make adjustments. LOVE IT! THANKS for telling me about it!

Ok... So I watched, I read, I learned, and I feel I conquered my next sequence! I used that visual thing y'all spoke of! WOW, did it ever help! I am now confident that my second sequence is going to straight ROCK! I sequenced "Party Like a Rock Star" I will videotape it tonight and upload it for everyone to see.

that visual thing is awesome, makes it easier to sequence the lights according to your own setup, not someone eases, or having to make adjustments. LOVE IT! THANKS for telling me about it!

Looks like my first sequence, I started with the THX start up its short and not overwhelming.

Now back to the computer start seperating channels, fades, shimmers, and chasing!

Also the new Visualizer over the old is like a Ham and Cheese sanwiche VS a Steak and Potatoes dinner. The old visualizer did a great job showing you into the program and whats going on. The new one sometimes I swear Im looking at my house from the outside already!

This is just MY opinion and how I sequence...

I very rarely use ALL my elements in any given song/sequence (except for a GRAND FINALE sequence...keep them wanting more is my motto).

I feel if you do use everything on every song, then they tend to all start looking the same.

This from a guy who KNOWS his sequencing skills are lame at best...and one of these days if I can get my trees to stay up, I will devote some much needed time to better my sequencing skills....

In the meantime, I compensate for my sequencing deficiencies by adding thousands of more lights!!!!

:P

Yeah, Jim does a LOT of compensating :) LOL!

JC, nice for your "first", George said it right, next year, you'll look at this and think.. "was I on acid??" I thot that of my first one lookin at it a year later.. The Visualizer is priceless, you get to immediatley see what the sequence looks like.. Think of what effect you're looking for.. do you want the flow to go from roof to the ground, or left to right, or left/right to the center or center to left/right and up.. these are just a couple directions you can have in mind which direction you want the flow to go during the song.. Just keep at it, you'll get it!