Light-O-Rama Forums

My sign light won't turn on with the show.

Guest guest

I created an animation for my spot light on my sign, one channel for one minute, no loop, set to the correct channel for the spot light. Tested the light with the hardware utility and the light works! But when I add it to the background of my show, save my show and then run it, the light never comes on!

Why won't the spot light come on with the show?

thanks in advance

Craig - I had the exact same problem with my sign. Don suggested that I check to be sure that no other sequence used to that channel. Make sure it's not defined anywhere else. I went through all of my sequences, found the problem, and now the sign works as planned. Hope it's that easy for you.

D.T.

I thought about that, so I checked one of my squences and verified all the channels were correct, exported that as my template and then applied that template to all my other sequences. That seemed to be easier than checking each sequence. But the problem still exists.

When I test the channel with the hardware utility it works just fine. Strange!!

can you zip up your sequence and show file, and post them here? Maybe one of us can have a look.

I rely on a background sequence for all of our static stuff (about 50% of the display) so I can compare it to mine...

-Tim

Craig Haven wrote:

I created an animation for my spot light on my sign, one channel for one minute, no loop, set to the correct channel for the spot light. Tested the light with the hardware utility and the light works! But when I add it to the background of my show, save my show and then run it, the light never comes on!

Why won't the spot light come on with the show?

thanks in advance

I'm having the exact same problem so I'm hoping to learn something here. First time using background sequences. On the first night, they did not work so I rebooted and they were fine. Then they stopped coming on in the nights that followed. I haven't had time to mess with them but I noticed last night while checking how the display was holding up in the ice that they were on!

I don't get it. I guess they just come on when they feel like it.

Scott

I did some more testing:

Created a test show with only the background animation running, nothing else. Scheduled the show to run, and the spot light came on!! So I added just one music sequence to the show, and the music seqeunce came on but NO spot light!!! argggg! Ichecked the sequence to be sure that the channel for the spot is not being used by anything else - it's not. So until I or someone figures this out - I will manually turn on the spot light by plugging it directly into a wall outlet!

Thanks!

Craig

Try Eliminating the channel the spot light is on from the sequences. If the channel is in your sequences, as soon as the song starts it will turn off.

My sign has a 60 second turn on animation sequence in the backround to turn it on. Then a 5 second off sequence in the shutdown sequence. That's the only place that channel is found.

Jim

"But when I add it to the background of my show"

Not sure what you mean by the background?

Did you create the Sign as a sequenced musical '1 Channel' save, and add it to the show editor?

Place that sequence between each musical sequence.

This should resolve your problem!

By background - I mean - that in the Show Editor on the background tab I added the sign animation - one channel on for 1 minute, I have it set to the last channel on my last controller - 04-16. I have even tried changing the channel still no luck.

I created a special "test show" the only thing in it is the spot light animation on the background tab. When I do this the spot comes on. If I add any other sequences (on the musical tab) then the spot does not work.

If I understand you correctly, you insert the spot light animation in between each musical sequence and you do not put anything on the background tab, right? But how would it stay on during the song? Do you have it as part of your musical sequence as well?

I thought the background tab was to be used for things like the spot light that you want to always be on while the show is running.

Craig

Yes! updated today, still same problem. In Jim's posting he suggests that I remove the spot from inside of each musical sequence, I am going to try that next. Today I just plugged it in directly so I could run the show and have my sign lite. It sure is neat to see it up and running!

Craig

When you say "the channel is not being used"...

Can you confirm that NO ROW in ANY musical sequence in your show is addressing this channel? It can't just be there with no lighting events.

If you want to email me the test lms file you were using (now that I have your background sequence and show) I can look at that.

-Tim

Worst case scenerio, you could just add the sign light channel to each sequence, including your commercial spots and set the delay to 0 in the Show Editor. The only consequence to this is that your sign will blink once between each sequence.

Let me know if this works for you. Otherwise, I can come over to your house and load some of my sequences on your laptop and test that background light.

Okay here is an update:

Jim was right!! I had the spot light listed in each of my sequences, once I removed it from all the musical sequences the spot light worked as it should. Thanks Jim!!

Today I built a stable for my wife's nativity (she painted all the characters), so that has been added to my show.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

PS. Now that the show is up my wife really likes it, she is still a little unhappy about the amount of money I spent (oops!)!!

Craig