Light-O-Rama Forums

S2 to S3 upgrade issue I encountered!

Guest guest

Just upgraded to S3 3.1.0. But now my LED strings on the tree on one side, now flicker horribly when using fades, they NEVER did that in S2. Shot a video last night when running my test show to make sure everything worked fine. Which it did, under S2 and no flickering LED strings.

Now that I've upgraded to S3, these same lights now flicker madly, instead of just a calming fade. Don't know what the difference in the S3 (no superstar) is vs the S2 files, but now I'm thinking of reverting back to S2 since I did not have this issue. So if I want to continue with S3, I'm going to need snubbers now, correct?

This flickering is very pronounced in S3, wasn't there at all in S2.

So now that I'm going to have to add snubbers to these strings, can I just get by with ONE snubber directly off the controller channel that controls these LED strings?

Or do I need to add a snubber to every single LED string to prevent this?

And could someone tell me what value and wattage the resistor needs to be for a snubber. I know how to make one, just need to know the correct value resistor to use!

Thanks!

[align=center]Okay problem fixed! [/align]

Don't need snubbers(All my LED strings are "Full Wave").

It was just an S.A.O.E. (Stupid A$$ Operator Error!)

It appears the issue was I forgot to UNPLUG the cat5 from controller 1 that goes to the USB485B!

So no S3 issues as I had first thought. Boy what an embarrassing error!

Guess I was just too eager to see how well S3 worked I goofed!

I keep one Cat5 connected to the "inside" Controller (Unit 01) and when I was running tests after converting some of my S2 sequences over to the S3 platform, I neglected to disconnect the Cat5 cable from the USB485B!

Since I use an DC-MP3 Showtime Director to run my show, if I insert the show SD card and DO NOT UNPLUG that Cat5 cable I get some really funky looking lighting effects!

Makes Full Wave LED strings act like half-wave!:shock:

So after unplugging the cable, everything is operating at peak efficiency and no more strange, sporadic lighting!

Go ahead folks have at it, YOU know you want too.

And for this blunder I deserve it!:P:P

JBullard wrote:

Glad to hear you upgraded to S3 and that you didn't find it full of bugs. :P

Nope, just my own too eager to see it work, so thought I had an issue, just glad it was just a simple fix!

Note to self: Unplug the USB485B BEFORE inserting SD Card into DC-MP3 Showtime Controller!:P

scubado wrote:

There must be some good news behind getting the upgrade. I know you're in some challenging times. Do tell. :P

Let's just say the work I did for some folks paid for it. :P

That's why no SS, yet.

But I do plan on adding the SS, probably will be a couple months or so into 2012 before I get the SS add on, but still hoping to get 1, maybe 2 or more CCR's (or if LOR has the CCB's, get these, rather have the bulbs than the ribbon, just think they'd be more flexible and easier to work with than the CCR ribbon), anyway that's the current plan at this time.

That's just so I have something to play around with and learn the SS package until 2012's Halloween, then Christmas display is are ready to go up.

Steve Saunders wrote:

Been there and done that, didn't realize it till the next day!! Great to see that your on S3.

You'd have thought I'd learned and remembered that. I've done that on several occasion, but it just screwed up the sequence, lights coming on at wrong times, but never flickered the LED's like they were half-wave, as they did after I had upgraded to S3, so here I'm thinking the S3 upgrade must have changed something in a file that is creating this problem, not realizing I had just forgotten to unplug that one lone cable from Controller 01 to the USB485B connected to the computer.

Before I saw the cable was still plugged in, and after running my test show(s) to see how S3 performed and whether I'd have any issues, I was probably at first disappointed that now my LED's were not functioning correctly, and thought: Now what happened?

I didn't make any changes to the sequence, just loaded the S2 ones into S3 and saved them out to a new directory (no overwiting the original S2 sequences!), so I knew the sequence couldn't or shouldn't be the problem -or- could it?, so I go in, make some changes to the sequence in S3, save it to SD Card, plug SD card in, same issue, so after 3 attempts, I wrote the initial post, still NOT realizing I had neglected to unplug that one cat5 cable from the USB485B that was connected to the computer, and that was what was actually creating the entire issue with the weird light display!

I'm just glad it was a simple fix and not an issue with the software or anything else!

• 1 month later...

DLTSLC wrote:

I'm thinking of upgrading to the S3 version. Can you tell me the changes, and anything to 'watch out' for ?

Check out Bob's videos. There he has a video (at the bottom of the post) showing what's new in S3.

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum95/28633.html

Ive been running S3 for a month now, I didnt see many things that made it a new animal all together. I do like the fancy Visualizer, I do like SuperStar although I cant get it to export my progress (thats an open ticket) but the software is a game changer for CCR's or lazy people who want a terribly generic looking display with the Autosequencer on regular lights.

That was my next question: the superstar Sequencer for CCRs is pretty much $200 because by the time you upgrade your setup, you'll have 8+ CCRs. Is this program worth it ? And what does it do compared to the S3 software? Probably a noob question, but if it takes hours out of programming, I'll pay $200!! Anyone use it ?