Light-O-Rama Forums

What do you do with someone else's sequience?

MikeA

Just curious. When you get a sequence that someone else has created what do you do with it?
I have specific features in my show. 16 channel mega tree, spiral tree, robin wheel, mega poles, leaping arches....I would think that no one else has exactly what I have and that it would take more work to convert their sequence to my show and channel configuration.

So I am curious how you are using someone else's sequence and channel configuration. What am I missing?

In my opinion Mike, your thinking is spot on.

Way back when I first started I tried to modify some other sequences to fit my display.

Because no one else has the same elements, light strings etc as I had, it was taking 10 times as long as for me to try to modify theirs as to just do it from scratch myself. I gave up.

So I have never used anyone elses sequence in my displays.

EDIT: In my opinion your time will be better spent to just learn the software so you can do your own.

basicly you need to open the borrowed sequence and open a new sequence using your channel config. at the same time. Copy the timing and beat marks into your configuration. Then it's just your time to gleen parts from your borrowed sequence over/into your configuration. It's a little time consuming but faster than recreating the wheel! You might get lucky and find more than one borrowed sequence that you can open at once to see just what each person did and take what works best for you.

crackchecker wrote:

basicly you need to open the borrowed sequence and open a new sequence using your channel config. at the same time. Copy the timing and beat marks into your configuration. Then it's just your time to gleen parts from your borrowed sequence over/into your configuration. It's a little time consuming but faster than recreating the wheel! You might get lucky and find more than one borrowed sequence that you can open at once to see just what each person did and take what works best for you.

+1 on this. It takes forever to edit someone elses sequence to fit your setup but copying certain elements into your own sequence works perfectly. I've used this recently for my spiral/weber tree and arches.

I even went as far as changing channel names on their sequences to match my setup for say thier 16 channel spiral tree and played it in my vizuliser setup to see how what they did looked. Once I found a portion that I liked I stopped playback copied that section and pasted it into my sequence then moved on. Like crack checker said if you find enough borrowed sequences you can piece together your whole sequence and fast to I might add.

Oh and learn the short cuts for copying like, entire row, entire column, etc.
Good luck!

I tried to just change controller unit numbers for specific part of the borrowed sequence.. in smaller layouts, it works ok but you're more limited, larger ones you can pick/chose what you want to light up.. it does same some time if its a difficult piece..

I have borrowed from others in the past and used just the timing of the events. Then I would redo the rest. Getting the timing saves some time but then I have certain other things I look at or hear in the same song someone might not see or hear. So sometimes it's just easier to start from scatch.

It's a hit and miss thing for me.

BUT, I do appreciate anyone I have borrowed timing of their sequences when their work was to my taste.

I make a copy of the sequence then add my configuration to the copy. I can then copy and paste the parts of the sequence that I want to use without changing any of the original sequence.

I look for features that are similiar to objects in my show. Copy those over to my sequence.
It's good for getting you started on a hard sequence, or when you have sequencing block.

I thought it was too much work to use someone else's sequences until this year.
I wanted to use this song but could not get started.
Someone sent me his.
He had roof line and windows and a mega tree that were like mine.
So I created a new track and lined up the channels the same way.
Say he had
Roof red as channel 1
Roof blue as channel 2
Roof green as channel 3

And mine is
Roof red as channel 20
Roof blue as channel 52
Roof green as channel 37

I take Roof red put it in the first spot on the new track
Roof blue second spot
Roof green third spot

And so on

Then I copied everything I needed in one shot!

Then you tweek it but most of the hard work is done.
Nice if you are using more than one sequence.

I was able to convert an bunch of old sequences over this year this way.

Never tried that because I've got 32 channels 10 of which are for the Snowman so it's a specific way to synchronize and the other thing is watching often videos on youtube it's also cool to hear new songs on displays (LMFAO for instance ;-) ) even if I like songs like "Amazing Grace"