Light-O-Rama Forums

Ceramic VS Glass Fuses

Guest guest

OK,

So I blew a fuse for the first time. I went to walmart and got me a 15 amp glass fuse, it works however I can see the filament inside getting red, probably because I have too much on it however do I need to replace this with a ceramic fuse or is the glass one ok?

Thanks,
Logan

logan_moore wrote:

OK,

So I blew a fuse for the first time. I went to walmart and got me a 15 amp glass fuse, it works however I can see the filament inside getting red, probably because I have too much on it however do I need to replace this with a ceramic fuse or is the glass one ok?

Thanks,
Logan

I think, (and I could be wrong) the ceramic fuses don't explode all over the place when they blow. Glass fuses could send shrapnel all over your enclosure.

I've been wrong, though.

logan_moore wrote:

I went to walmart and got me a 15 amp glass fuse, it works however I can see the filament inside getting red, probably because I have too much on it however do I need to replace this with a ceramic fuse or is the glass one ok?

Logan, check on the package of fuses that you bought to be sure they are FAST or quick BLOW fuses. This is the only type recommended for use in the LOR controllers. Regular auto type fuses are slow blow. Following is a little info off the net:

Fuses are often characterized as "fast-blow" or "slow-blow," according to the time required for them to respond to an overcurrent condition. Fast-blow fuses open nearly instantaneously when exposed to an overcurrent condition. Slow-blow fuses can tolerate a transient overcurrent condition, but will open if the overcurrent condition is sustained.

logan_moore wrote:

OK,

Thanks,
Logan

I have never seen a fast acting glass fuse at the 15 amp range but they may be available. The filliment will glow that is normal. Fuses get very hot when running at full capacity.

Make sure the fuse is not a 32 volt fuse from the Auto Department.

One of the BIG advantages of a ceramic fuse is that they are much more moisture resistant. :D

They do have a higher maximum interrupt current capacity but that is not a big issue with this application.

John Pidliskey wrote:

Not to sound like a ####, I have never seen a fuse 'glow'.

Explain a situation where I would see a standard glass-fuse glow....

Fast acting fuses have a fine wire filament much like a light bulb. When they are running close to their maximum rated current they glow. The fine wire in the fuse is one of the reasons fuse is fast acting.

Some fast acting fuses have a notch in a wider filament that provides a point for quick failures.

When a 20A fast acting fuse is running at 20 amps continuously you scorch your fingers if you touched it.