Light-O-Rama Forums

Just not sure how to accomplish what I want to do

David Barnett

Hey folks. OK, still a little confused on using video in seq. Talked to Don, he was helpful; but still not quite sure. Sooooo, I'll explain what i'm trying to accomplish, and perhaps someone can give me an overview how to accomplish my goal.

I have some video and audio of the "Halloween Scarols" (Thanks Jay). There are portions of the video, where theres a lighting flash in the background. I have a lightning package setup this year. I would like my lightning to flash/boom at that same instance on video.

Just not sure how to set up BOTH the video and the lightning stuff at the same time.

Do I create a seperate seq. for the lightining? Just not sure how to tie both events together.

Same situation if I want to add lightning during a playing sequence. It's my understanding, when creating a video seq, you can't have other channels on that vid seq.

I attended the LOR immersion course, but they more or less glossed over using video stuff. Talking to other's made it sound easy, it most likely is. I'm jsut having some difficulty getting a handle to accomplish my goal.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Best,

David

David Barnett wrote:

Hey folks. OK, still a little confused on using video in seq. Talked to Don, he was helpful; but still not quite sure. Sooooo, I'll explain what i'm trying to accomplish, and perhaps someone can give me an overview how to accomplish my goal. I have some video and audio of the "Halloween Scarols" (Thanks Jay). There are portions of the video, where theres a lighting flash in the background. I have a lightning package setup this year. I would like my lightning to flash/boom at that same instance on video. Just not sure how to set up BOTH the video and the lightning stuff at the same time. Do I create a seperate seq. for the lightining? Just not sure how to tie both events together. Same situation if I want to add lightning during a playing sequence. It's my understanding, when creating a video seq, you can't have other channels on that vid seq. I attended the LOR immersion course, but they more or less glossed over using video stuff. Talking to other's made it sound easy, it most likely is. I'm jsut having some difficulty getting a handle to accomplish my goal. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Best, David
If I understand you correctly, you want to make a lightning sequence. All you have to do is make a music sequence using the video (with audio) instead of a seperate audio. Hope this makes sense. You can find more on this in the Help file, search for video preferences.

MikeH

Sorry, MikeH. I'm still confused a little by your response.

Ok, I have my scarols vids/audio(wmv). I also have the wowlights lightning seq. pkg.

When I'm playing the scarols video/audio, during that time, at certain points in the video; I would also like my lightning/thunder to flash/boom as well. Make sense.

This is what I'm somewhat confused about, incorporating the 2.

Same with just a musical sequence. Example I have a compolation of a TSO song that merges into the "Halloween' Theme. I would like to play the TSO song, then thunder/lightning...then the Halloween theme.Perhaps on other songs as well.

Hope that clarifies what I'm trying to accomplish. This is my 1st year to try video.

Best,

David

David Barnett wrote:

Sorry, MikeH. I'm still confused a little by your response.

Ok, I have my scarols vids/audio(wmv). I also have the wowlights lightning seq. pkg.

When I'm playing the scarols video/audio, during that time, at certain points in the video; I would also like my lightning/thunder to flash/boom as well. Make sense.

This is what I'm somewhat confused about, incorporating the 2.

Same with just a musical sequence. Example I have a compolation of a TSO song that merges into the "Halloween' Theme. I would like to play the TSO song, then thunder/lightning...then the Halloween theme.Perhaps on other songs as well.

Hope that clarifies what I'm trying to accomplish. This is my 1st year to try video.

Best,

David

OK, I see what you mean. Best thing to do would be to combine your two audios. You can do this using Audacity. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

MikeH

Load your video file into Windows movie maker and then add your audio file. Drag your audio file around to match the thunder in the video then save your file as a new file. This will blend your two files into one. You should also be able to trim off what ever audio you don't want included. Hope this helps.

sigh. ok w hen you say add audio, are you talking about the lightning audio?

ok, so at the point/time in the audio I would add in the seq. my lightning events?

again, this is were confusion comes in; as I was under the impresion, when using video, that was all you could use?

Apologies, I need step by step
David

As Jim mentioned, you would want to load your scarols video into a movie editor. (Windows Movie Maker is one.) Now at the point you want your lighting to go off, you will need to add that *audio* to the scarols video. Save this video with a new name so you don't touch the original.

Now, open the sequence editor and modify your Media (Edit->Media) to the new video file. You now have the same video/audio as you did before, but with an extra sound effect of lighting.

Go to the point in the sequence/scarol where you added the lighting. Add in the lighting events you want to happen while the lighting sound effect takes place.

David Barnett wrote:

I have some video and audio of the "Halloween Scarols" (Thanks Jay). There are portions of the video, where theres a lighting flash in the background. I have a lightning package setup this year. I would like my lightning to flash/boom at that same instance on video.

Just not sure how to set up BOTH the video and the lightning stuff at the same time.

Do I create a seperate seq. for the lightining? Just not sure how to tie both events together.

It sounds to me that you want to sync (play together) your lightning (LOR controlled light bulbs) to flash at the same time the lightning flashes in the Halloween scrolls video. You can use the WOW lights lightning sequence, but it will not be in sync with the video (since the Halloween Scarols lightning is different).

In the LOR sequence editor, with the Halloween Scarols video as the media file. Turn on the view wave form so you can “see” the sounds from the video. Find the start of the lighting sound and create a sequence at that point so your LOR controlled lights will turn on and off at the same time as the video lightning images.

If this is what you want to accomplish, you do not need to use Audacity or any movie maker software.

Vic is right. I was helping what you wanted to do, but wasn't the correct way to do it. If you want to substitute the Scarols thunder with the WOW thunder because you like the sound better and still works with the visual timing, then the above programs would help you.
It's been awhile since you posted, are you still strugling with it?

Hey guys. I think I am understanding now, what you are telling me.

So, on the scarols; I create a musical sequnce with my channels and added channels for the lightning.

Then in the video, werethere is the flash of lightning, I can copy/paste some of my WOW lightning seq. effects at that point. Then when on the video, when it flashes on screen, my lightning setup on the house will flash as well at that point.

Also, if I understand you correctly. On some other sequnences I want to add lightning too, I use Audacity(etal) to merge my ligtning/thunder sound into the sequences original audio file mix.

Then on the sequence, I will add the lightning effects to the sequence at the point of the Audio Thunder/lightning.

If so, I think I have it together; looks like I have some editing to do right now.

Thanks to all who helped. We'll get there.

Best,
David