Light-O-Rama Forums

Short version of Blue Christmas

Steven

Perhaps I have a low opinion of my visitors' attention span. I try to keep each song 2 minutes or less (including "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" at 0:14.39.)

This year, I'm adding more RGB lights so, like many others, I decided to add "Blue Christmas" this year to highlight the colors from the song ("... blue Christmas ... decorations of red on a green Christmas tree ... Christmas of white ...")

But I couldn't help myself - I'm so used to shortening songs that naturally the musical interlude and repeated verse had to go. I ended up with a sequence 1:26 long.

Your opinion please. Is that too short? Should I not have removed the chorus? Will visitors want more? (That would be good.)

I used it last year at 1:27 and I thought it was perfect lenght. Had a lot of good comments on that song. However, it was not my wife's favorite since she hates Elvis.

IMHO, shorter is better than longer for the reason you stated. Visitors want variety and listening to a full length song, they lose interest pretty quickly

zman wrote:

IMHO, shorter is better than longer for the reason you stated. Visitors want variety and listening to a full length song, they lose interest pretty quickly

I would SOMEWHAT agree with the Zman...but a full length song from the 50's and 60 was typically under 3 minutes...while a full song today is usually close to 5 minutes...

So I guess it depends on the age of your audience...

It is all up to you. If you like it then go for it. Personally I never cut a song. I like the version of the song that I purchased and actually do not like it when a different version is played. I feel if they like the song they will hang around. I also try not to be repetitive in the display to help maintain interest so even if the song is repeating a verse, my display is doing something different. I usually do not have any songs more than about three minutes long although I do have a Chuck Mangione song that runs fourteen minutes but I only play it once a night and usually as the lead-in at the beginning of the evening.

Mark J. M. wrote:

It is all up to you. If you like it then go for it. Personally I never cut a song. I like the version of the song that I purchased and actually do not like it when a different version is played. I feel if they like the song they will hang around. I also try not to be repetitive in the display to help maintain interest so even if the song is repeating a verse, my display is doing something different. I usually do not have any songs more than about three minutes long although I do have a Chuck Mangione song that runs fourteen minutes but I only play it once a night and usually as the lead-in at the beginning of the evening.

Purely out of curiosity, Mark, what 14-minute Chuck Mangione song do you use? Bellavia?

Actually it is Children of Sanchez from the album of the same name. I have sequenced several of his songs. I like how he changes tempo which makes for more interesting changes in the sequences.

Ahhh . . . It's been a while since I've heard that album. Sure bet it goes well with the display.