Light-O-Rama Forums

Stuck in a rut

Ron Amedee

Don't know if it's a bad thing..Except all my sequences are starting to have the same feeling....

Do you old timer's stick with what worked the first time or venture into the unknown?

post one or two of they and let us take a look over them.

Fresh eyes might do you some good.

I always need a break from mine. Did some sequences for others last year about this time just to wake my own eyes up again.

I've seen plenty of good looking videos from people with 16 channels, but there are just so many things that can be done before it starts looking repetitive. Try some songs with different tempos.

PS - have you checked your email lately?

It is sooo hard to walk away from this ADDICTION..The last two days I was in the feild actually working and couldn't get on the forum..AAARRRGGGHHH

I will take a deep breath and forget all you said and then get back to it !!!:shock::shock::shock:

I need to get off the fade's and chases then learn the micro's...But then it will look like everyone elses:(

Want to go to the Epic sooo bad..Lottery tonight is last chance !!!!

Ron Amedee wrote:

Don't know if it's a bad thing..Except all my sequences are starting to have the same feeling....

Do you old timer's stick with what worked the first time or venture into the unknown?

Ain't an old timer, well not with LOR, in other terms that probably applies!:P

But I dare say I will do both, depending on the song I'm working on, I may copy and paste from an older or another sequence that was shared with me or downloaded from LOR Sequences, then in other parts, I may venture out to try something different, that's how I came up with the "Flickering Candle" effect for my Halloween Jack-O'-Lanterns in 2010 (1st year with LOR and first show), then worked that same effect into Christmas for 2 of the 4 Noel Candles I used in that display. I have to seperate the flame tip light on 2 of them from the added stalk lights, so I'm only flickering those flame tips and not the candle body. My two larger Noel Candles the Flame Tip is seperate, so I make them 2 channel candles. Keep the stalks lit 40-60% with flickering the flame tips.

But sometimes I just have to get away from sequencing for a day or two myself, as it does tend to get to you if you spend hours on hours working on one of them! Especially the same song, sometimes I'll have 8 different sequences I can choose from to work on, so if I get bored, or tired, I can move on to one of the others. Doesn't always help ding it that way, and still have to take a break for a day or two sometimes, just to get a better perspective of what I'm going to do with it.

I would have to agree with George...find songs that have different tempos...

also try using just a few of your elements per song and not all of them in every song...

I even just used one of my elements in a song last year...

I just did a song that has a copulation of 15 rock songs put into one ... I realized that you do not have to use EVERY element in EVERY song ... break it up a bit.

My 2c worth !

Dave

P.S. OFFICIALLY finished sequencing my 8 new songs for this year ... now I am bored waiting for my lights to arrive !

RaceMedic wrote:

P.S. OFFICIALLY finished sequencing my 8 new songs for this year ... now I am bored waiting for my lights to arrive !

I hate to see anyone on here bored!!!!

Want to sequence a few songs for me?!?!?!!?!

TGabriel wrote:

Jim hurry up with two more comment so we can see the big 3,000 posts

Nope...I'm stopping at 2,999...

So I guess this is my last post....

SEE YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

TGabriel wrote

Jim is probally pondering to himself on what would be the most offensive or useless post ever for the big 3000!!!!

Ron Amedee wrote:

TGabriel wrote

Jim is probally pondering to himself on what would be the most offensive or useless post ever for the big 3000!!!!

That would pretty much be any one of them....

LIKE THIS ONE!!!!!! :shock:

I like to go onto Youtube and just watch a ton of videos for inspiration. I also like the idea of letting the sequence sit for a few weeks/months then come back and tweak it.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Ron,

Walk away for a day or two and think about something else. Have a couple cold ones this weekend and leave the sequencer on the shelf. Listen to some other kinds of music and do, what I can tell from the work you've shared with me, what you do quite well... visualize it in your head.

Come back to it in a few days or a week and try it with a fresh outlook. I find that when I leave it alone for a while, it helps me to think of new things to try. Having it right in front of me all the time gets me in a rut real fast.

Jeff

I found this works the best for me.I haven't done a second of sequencing for a week.

James Campbell wrote

I found this works the best for me.I haven't done a second of sequencing for a week.

As i read this I am drinking a cold beer, eating fried shrimp and fish with french fries and watching SWAMP PEOPLE on History channel.

Ron Amedee wrote:

James Campbell wrote

As i read this I am drinking a cold beer, eating fried shrimp and fish with french fries and watching SWAMP PEOPLE on History channel.

and thinking about how to use the theme song in your display

lol :D

lol :D