Light-O-Rama Forums

Shortening TSO Boughs of Holly?

jim6918

Although this song isn't the longest one on my play list at 4:25, it seems like it is for some reason. My TSO Christmas Canon Rock is 4:56 but doesn't seem as long for some reason. Maybe it's the visual of the hot blonde's rocking out to CCR.

In any event, has anybody had much success shortening Boughs of Holly? If so, at what timing mark?

I haven't tried to shorten anything yet, but there is a few TSO songs that I did not use because they were a little too long. I guess I will be learning to use audacity this year.:D

I have used Audacity to remove verses from the middle of many of the songs I use. Like everything in life, it's not easy the first time you try it, but after a few times and a bunch of "Duh!" moments, it becomes almost trivial.

I recently condensed Deck the Halls by Mannheim Steamroller from over 3 minutes to 2 and a half:

http://bluebonnetlights.com/audio/Mannheim%20Steamroller-%20Deck%20the%20Halls,%20short,%20intro.mp3

My technique is to first listen to the whole song while watching the time. Write down on paper when each verse starts. Then listen for similarities in the transitions. For example, if the start of verse 2 sounds very similar to the start of verse 3, then verse 2 can probably be removed without anyone noticing. I cut out 2 or 3 sections from Deck the Halls.

When you have identified which pieces to remove, it's easier to start with the last, otherwise the times you wrote down will change before you get there. If you're going to remove verse 2, then with Audacity, put the cursor in the middle of verse 2. Use "Edit", "Select", "Cursor to End", then "Edit", "Cut". Then "Project", "New Stereo Track", then "Paste".

Then, in the new track, delete the last part of verse 2, but leave the entire transition to verse 3. On the first track, delete the first part of verse 2, but leave the transition from verse 1 to verse 2.

Then, using the Time Shift Tool, drag the new track to align the beats between the tracks. Zoom in and play that section several times until the transitions line up.

Now, identify the part where the verse 1 - verse 2 transition sounds most similar to the verse 2 - verse 3 transition. This will be your cross fade portion. Delete the part of the original track to the right of this. Then select this section. Save this selection using "Edit", "Selection Save". Then select "Effect", "Cross Fade Out".

Go to the new track and select "Edit", "Selection Restore" to get the same selection. Select "Effect", "Cross Fade In". If you still have audio before that selection, silence it by using "Edit", "Move Cursor", "to Selection Start"; then "Edit", "Select", "Start to Cursor", then "Edit", "Silence".

You're almost done. Play the section to make sure it sounds good, save the project, and then export it as an MP3.

In my haste to post as short a questions as possible, I might have mis-stated my question. It is more about WHERE to cut than HOW to cut. Not faulting Steven's reply which is just about as perfect an explanation of editing using Audacity as I have even seen.

I have listened to Boughs of Holly about 50 times and can't really find a place to cut the song at, and was wondering if others had shortened it and where.

I have seen what was referred to as a "Shortened" version, but for the life of me can't find either the sequence or the "shortened" MP3.

I think you could cut the first nearly 2 minutes of the song.

Or perhaps cut from :15 to 1:53. Then you get the part that starts with the bells and goes right into rock.

Then, near the end, at 3:30 or so, you have a closing that repeats the same 8-second phrase 4 times. You could chop 16 or 24 seconds there.

jim6918 wrote:

I might have mis-stated my question. It is more about WHERE to cut than HOW to cut. Not faulting Steven's reply which is just about as perfect an explanation of editing using Audacity as I have even seen.

Thank you very much!

My first reply was mostly in response to Jason, and everybody else who hasn't yet started using Audacity.

Steven wrote:

Thank you very much!

My first reply was mostly in response to Jason, and everybody else who hasn't yet started using Audacity.

Thanks for the tips Steven.:dude:

Thanks to Steven's moral support, I beleive I have successfully cut this song down to a perfect clip. It is now 3:09.00 long (actually 3:08.98) and has about a 4 second fade to the end.

I think it will sequence very nicely now.