Light-O-Rama Forums

Subdividing Sequence donw with Beat Wizard

jim6918

Sequenced my first song with the Beat Wizard the other day. I have done all my other sequences "free-form" using the waveform or .10 timings, but since this particular song had a strong 4/4 beat thru the entire song I decided to try the Beat Wizard. All in all the results were excellent and needed only minor tweaking.

I am at the point in the sequence where I would like to have 2X faster timings for some elements of show, arches, mini, trees etc.

Is there a way to globally subdivide each timing mark in half, or would I have been better at the very beginning in the Beat Wizard to use a faster related tempo?

I could start the sequence over and copy and paste from the 1X sequence to 2X so not much work lost.

First, make a working copy of the song to play with, call it -2 or something,

then

1) When you're first setting the song up, "new song", and select "Beat Wizard", the next screen has "Tempo", select 2x beat

2) or if song is already done, you can select the whole song;

click on a square, then using edit,

edit>select>all [selects whole song]

THEN using the Edit command:

edit>timings>subdivide timings [then select 2 for divide by 2]

or ... probably lots of better ways to do this, but I've done both

jim6918 wrote:

Sequenced my first song with the Beat Wizard the other day.  I have done all my other sequences "free-form" using the waveform or .10 timings, but since this particular song had a strong 4/4 beat thru the entire song I decided to try the Beat Wizard.  All in all the results were excellent and needed only minor tweaking. 

I am at the point in the sequence where I would like to have 2X faster timings for some elements of show, arches, mini, trees etc.

Is there a way to globally subdivide each timing mark in half, or would I have been better at the very beginning in the Beat Wizard to use a faster related tempo?

I could start the sequence over and copy and paste from the 1X sequence to 2X so not much work lost.

Jim,

I think what you're looking for is additional tracks. George Simmons has an excellent post on how to create several different timing tracks within one sequence. You can find it on the second page of this thread...

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum80/26004-2.html

Hope that helps! :)

I agree with Mark...divide your elements into different tracks..

such as

Track One - Mini Trees
Track Two - Arches
Track Three - Mega Tree etc.

Then each track can have it's own timing marks, which you can name and then use in other tracks if so desired as a starting point...or even use any of the wizards to create new timing marks in that certain track...

For no justifiable reason, other than I am just stubborn, I have avoided using tracks up until now. Any time I received a shared sequence with tracks, the first thing I did was go thru and delete the tracks before modifying to my channel configuration. Now I really do see the benefit. I am going to try both methods tonight. Might be an epiphany tonight.

Yep, tracks. There you go.

Makes things much easier, divide your work down to smaller, more manageable pieces. You can always cut, paste and subdivide.

Discovered this too late last year, starting to use it a lot this year.

As other people have suggested, just back up everything : and I rename sequences as I progress, so If I screw up or lose something[never happens], I can always go back.

Just throwing out a few things here.

1) Tracks = Different representation of your channels.
2) Timing Grids = Different timings which are user selectable.

Thus, it is possible to have a single TRACK in your sequence but utilize many timing GRIDs when needed. You could have grids for 4/4 time, whole notes, .10 seconds, .5 seconds (and so forth) without ever having to build a new track.

All right..since we are on Tracks now..After i upgraded to advanced I tried using tracks and my visualizer would only play parts of the sequence. I guess i need to set up ALL my elements on a Master Track in the visualizer and then when adding a different track there would be a reference.

Adding CCR's has made me redo 35 COMPLETE sequences!!! My Main element is now all CCR's which acually freed up 32 channels..Now gotta build more stuff!!!

Don wrote:

Just throwing out a few things here.

1) Tracks = Different representation of your channels.
2) Timing Grids = Different timings which are user selectable.

Thus, it is possible to have a single TRACK in your sequence but utilize many timing GRIDs when needed. You could have grids for 4/4 time, whole notes, .10 seconds, .5 seconds (and so forth) without ever having to build a new track.

Yes, this is true, but if you are currently using Timing Beat 1 and switch to TB 2, TB1 is no longer visible...which means all your elements no longer fit neatly into the TB marks.

I know this is just a visual thing and doesn't matter to the playing of the sequence, but for me, a visual person, it kind of screws with my head!! LOL

Ron Amedee wrote:

All right..since we are on Tracks now..After i upgraded to advanced I tried using tracks and my visualizer would only play parts of the sequence. I guess i need to set up ALL my elements on a Master Track in the visualizer and then when adding a different track there would be a reference.

Adding CCR's has made me redo 35 COMPLETE sequences!!! My Main element is now all CCR's which acually freed up 32 channels..Now gotta build more stuff!!!

Hmmmm...I have 8 different tracks of 528 total channels (No master track) and they ALL play in the visualizer...

Isn't the visualizer set by Unit and Channel?? Nothing to do with the tracks is it?

Ron Amedee wrote:

It's All operator error !!!!

Been there, done that, still doing it... :D