Light-O-Rama Forums

Using the Tapper and am Late by Half a Beat

marsh28

I'm new using LOR and am doing a Halloween show with the song Thriller. I downloaded one of the sequences off of LOR Sequences.com and I noticed that the download is 1/2 beat ahead of the beat I get with the tapper. What's going on. Shouldn't the tapper be right on beat?

I may be reading this wrong but, the tapper is what you tap the beats to. You might be a little off on your taps. Or are you using the beat wizard, which puts the beat in for you??

marsh28 wrote:

I'm new using LOR and am doing a Halloween show with the song Thriller. I downloaded one of the sequences off of LOR Sequences.com and I noticed that the download is 1/2 beat ahead of the beat I get with the tapper. What's going on. Shouldn't the tapper be right on beat?

If by the "tapper beat" you are referring to the "timing marks" then why are you using your tapper when the "beat marks" are already on the sequence?

If you are referring to the "Beat Marks" already on the sequence and they seem to be off by a 1/2 beat after you loaded the song then do these two things.

A) Make sure you are using an MP3 that is 128kp and that it is set at constant bit rate.
B) Skew your sequence left or right until the "timing marks" that are on the sequence line up.

Skew to the left (earlier) if the sequence is a bit slower than the song.
Skew to the right (later) if the sequence is a bit faster than the song.

Of course I may have took your question to far and interpreted to much. :)

marsh28 wrote:

If you're using the Tapper wizard, I use it too, the issue at hand is not every tap will line up with the music you're tapping too. When I tap out a song, I *DO* have to go back in and clean it up as sometimes I miss a tap here and there or I put in one too many taps here or there when attempting to get the taps and beats to line up. I don't know a single person that will get a song tapped out perfectly the first time through, it will require tweaking and sometimes moving the tapped beat in the sequence around or even delete if a tap in error.

Also one thing I have noticed about music, even the same song, if loaded into two different sequences, may not come out exactly the same length either. I am downsizing my display from 80 channels to 48 this year because we are in an apartment for the time being, so I had to downsize my display and create new empty 48 channel sequences, several of the songs/music I use have come out with totally different times in the sequencer, yet it is the same exact music file in each. Sometimes the music is shorter, sometimes its longer, sort of weird how it comes out like that, but it does.

However the length change isn't that bad, it's usually not more than the grid size I use or less, I use a fixed grid of 15 and the music comes out shorter or longer by anywhere from 1/2 to not more than 1-1/2 vacant grid squares

So this could be why your tapper sequence may come out differently.

I also use the beat wizard and vu wizrds when doing my sequences, But after each one I use, I go back and clean up that channel to try and make sure everything in that sequence(channel) line is correct, then I move on to the next channel until it is done and corrected, yet I still go back and tweak and re-tweak them if I see something I just don't like.

Welcome to the LOR Family! I just started out doing this all last year myself, 2010 were my first Halloween and Christmas Displays. Once yoiu get the hang of how it works (and I still ask questions too), things were go a lot smoother when you sequence.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy it, like many say, don't let it get to be a chore, a bore or worse "work", if it's not enjoyable, you'll lose your flair for it, as well as get upset with yourself wondering why you wasted all your money on all this stuff. So always make sure you keep it enjoyable, don't let it become work, keep it as a hobby and, if or when you may get frustrated working on something, get up, walk away from it for a bit and come back to it, that's what I do and it helps me to find or fix the problem in the sequence I was working on.

Good Luck and I wish you great success in your displays, now and in the future.

marsh28 wrote:

Sent you a PM that may help with your display. Subject will say "No Subject" because I forgot to type one in. DOH! Subject should have been "Halloween Sequences"

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the PM. I also discovered that the problem was mostly with the original sequence I was using from LOR sequences. It turns out many of the sequences beats are a bit early. When I run my changes to the sequence on the visualizer, the beats match up perfectly so it must have simply been a problem with the sequence I was using.