Light-O-Rama Forums

Are my ideas grounded?

Guest guest

I'm about to run power for my 16D boards, and I've decided to run 12/4 cable for the two power inputs. A single cable seems simple and clean. The boards are mounted in plastic enclosures that will be outside and above the ground on stakes. Hopefully someone's experience will help me to avoid doing anything stupid. (like you could get to the front of that line) Should I really run a ground wire only to attach it to the heat sinks? Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated.

Thank you;

Jerry

OC Jerry wrote:

I'm about to run power for my 16D boards, and I've decided to run 12/4 cable for the two power inputs. A single cable seems simple and clean. The boards are mounted in plastic enclosures that will be outside and above the ground on stakes. Hopefully someone's experience will help me to avoid doing anything stupid. (like you could get to the front of that line) Should I really run a ground wire only to attach it to the heat sinks? Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated.

If all your outputs are 2-wire and the enclosures plastic, a ground is not necessary.

If you meant 12/3 with ground, you shoudn't use the ground as a current-carrier (it isn't properly insulated for this).

-Tim

Thanks for the perfect idea Robogeek. It seems like natural color coding. I see that you are in Florida also. Has condensation been a problem for you? I'm thinking of not completely sealing the boxes in the bottom for ventilation. Ever worry about lizards seeking the warmth and shorting out your boards?

OC Jerry wrote:

Thanks for the perfect idea Robogeek. It seems like natural color coding. I see that you are in Florida also. Has condensation been a problem for you? I'm thinking of not completely sealing the boxes in the bottom for ventilation. Ever worry about lizards seeking the warmth and shorting out your boards?
not really check out my enclosures here

www.Blogcadre.com