Light-O-Rama Forums

Using other people's sequences

MikeA

I have always wondered this so I will ask.
Are people really able to use other peoples sequences? I mean...I have a 16 channel mega tree, 4 arches and 8 mini tree's that are 2 colors. If someone were to give me a sequence they would have to have a setup pretty close to what I have for that sequence to be usable to me.

I have received sequences and saw that it would be harder to change them. I have different channels, channel assignments, set up, animation....ect.

I am just asking if people are really able to do this.

My first show a couple of years ago was mostly modified Richard Holdman sequences. They are great training tools when you can see how certain effects are created. My show would be much simpler if I had to learn it all by myself. Using a shared sequence can be used as either a "I am going to copy that channel and use it on this channel". Or you can just use it to just have all the timings already created for you.

If the creator of the original sequence has timings based on the beat or lyrics then that's what I find the most useful. I don't have room for a mega tree so I look for the smaller elements that they've tied to those timings and then I Copy & Paste and then add my own elements to round it out.

Chuck

WhitePlainsNY wrote:

If the creator of the original sequence has timings based on the beat or lyrics then that's what I find the most useful. I don't have room for a mega tree so I look for the smaller elements that they've tied to those timings and then I Copy & Paste and then add my own elements to round it out.

Chuck

Yep, I've learned that while I *can* do timings... it takes me a long, LONG time to get everything laid down correctly.

People like Richard and others really have a good ear for it.

Jeffrey wrote:

WhitePlainsNY wrote:

Chuck

Yep, I've learned that while I *can* do timings... it takes me a long, LONG time to get everything laid down correctly.

People like Richard and others really have a good ear for it.

This is exactly right. I use other peoples (when available) for the timings. I'm not good with the beats so if someone has those it's like a gold mine. I can then customize my channels to their timings.

Good animation ideas and good timings can always be adapted. So he used it for an 8 channel martyfan, no reason I can't use it for an arch, or anything else. Good movement is good movement. You just line the cannels up in a way that works and hit paste.
S

I think it's better to look for sequences that have more channels than your setup. That way it's more likely you will find elements that are similar to your display to copy and paste.