Light-O-Rama Forums

Future Sequencing

Jeff Seale

Hello all,

Haven't bought any controller yet. I am a little overwhelmed.

I have 2 questions:

1. What happens if I download someone's 32 channel sequence and try to run it on my 16 seq system?

2. Would it be better to by more controllers now and use just a few channels on them. Then expand to use the rest at a future date.

I think I will be making my own extension chords and I only want to do it once. I'd like to build them with the end in mind. I hope I didn't muddle those questions up too much.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Seale wrote:

1. What happens if I download someone's 32 channel sequence and try to run it on my 16 seq system?

Nothing major. The shows would run, and the LOR software would send out the commands. However, since nothing is on that address, nothing would happen.

It could be considered a 'Best Practice' to go ahead and remove those channels form the sequence. (At the very least, use the Channel Property Grid to remove the channel assignments)

2. Would it be better to by more controllers now and use just a few channels on them. Then expand to use the rest at a future date.

Well, for those of us who really get into this hobby ... you never know where it's going to stop. You'll always want to add more, and need more material. I'd build what you need for this year, and go ahead and build some extra while you are at it.

Jeff Seale wrote:

**It will only play the 16 Channels that correspond to your existing channels. But you can manipulate the sequence any way you want...delete channels, move channels, copy and paste channels. So no real problem.**

**It's a strange thing about channels...they very rarely go unused!!! LOL**

I think I will be making my own extension chords and I only want to do it once. I'd like to build them with the end in mind.

**It's a strange think about "the end"...it rarely stays there!! LOL I think you will find your display will grow and evolve...**

Jeff Seale wrote:

Hello all,

Haven't bought any controller yet. I am a little overwhelmed.

I have 2 questions:

You still need to rework the sequence to fit your display, unless however you "copy cat" a sequence but that would mean using that fellows sequences period, or again rework it.

I started off with 48 channels and sold that brand of controllers the next year and that year I bought 176 channels of Lor.

However like other have said you might just keep adding on and on each year. Unless your like me and was unemployed and considering selling all to live for another 2 months........but I sold my Dune Buggy and lived another two months and landed a job. Trust me folks have sold out do to hard times.

Personal I buy what I can afford and not what I cannot afford. I own all my controllers and not MasterCard so that is good.

Perhaps you can consider starting out with 4 controllers and that will be a good start for 2011.......or 2010 if you buy now and use 16 channels and then when the Feb. reduction sale starts buy more controllers, or in the summer sale (July) buy what you want then.

I think I will be making my own extension chords and I only want to do it once. I'd like to build them with the end in mind. I hope I didn't muddle those questions up too much.

Actually there are folks that have been using 32, 48, 64 channels for a few years now and are content to do so, but not that many on this forum do that.

If your Canadian that helps because of shipping, cost of lights, cost of power, dollars exchange, cost of fuel, cost of food, cost to keep the wife happy. If your single that helps.

Thanks,

Jeff