Light-O-Rama Forums

A Simple Request...

jimswinder

Is it just me??? :)

I, and I would think many others, would agree to this simple request...

If you ask for a sequence via a post in a current thread or send someone a PM requesting a sequence, PLEASE include your email address!!

We LOVE to share our sequences...but sorta get annoyed (at least me) when I/we have to send an extra email asking for YOUR email!!

I know..I sound like a Scrooge!! But time is getting precious for procrastinators like myself!!! LOL

1511760.GIF

I am by no means a computer/internet expert but was always taught to never include your email address in a forum as bots can can pick them up and sell them to spammers. I was told to spell it out - blahblahblah at comcast dot net, etc or to use PM only. I know many will use throw-a-way addy's.

Is this a valid fear?

iresq wrote:

Is this a valid fear?

yes and no...

then at least PM the person WITH your email address...they need to have it sooner or later.

Slackers!! :P

Hi, Jim...

Just in case this was kinda directed at me ('cuz I didn't post an email in my post), I wanted to let you know that I didn't include the email on purpose, because internet robots search MILLIONS of web pages per day, and that is how a large portion of spam mail is generated. The robots are programmed to search for the sequence "123@abc.com". They take that info and, wham-o, you've got mail!!!

So, I'm just tryin' to minimize unwanted emails...I'd GLADLY PM my email address or send an email to you or other members of this forum. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Greg

wglyons wrote:

Hi, Jim...

Just in case this was kinda directed at me ('cuz I didn't post an email in my post),

It was not directed at anyone in particular...I just noticed on several posts over the past year (and PM's that I received) that people ask for sequences but don't supply emails...

no big deal... :P

jimswinder wrote:

no big deal... :P

If it was no big deal, then why did you bring it up in the first place, Scrooge?

George Simmons wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
no big deal... :D

If it was no big deal, then why did you bring it up in the first place, Scrooge?

because it had been awhile since I fed you a straight line.... :P

wglyons wrote:

Hi, Jim...

Just in case this was kinda directed at me ('cuz I didn't post an email in my post), I wanted to let you know that I didn't include the email on purpose, because internet robots search MILLIONS of web pages per day, and that is how a large portion of spam mail is generated. The robots are programmed to search for the sequence "123@abc.com". They take that info and, wham-o, you've got mail!!!

So, I'm just tryin' to minimize unwanted emails...I'd GLADLY PM my email address or send an email to you or other members of this forum. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Greg

Agree. My bet is that at least half of the "guests" listed as being online on LOR right now are bots/crawlers. And just disguising your address as iresq (such as xyz at comcast dot com) mention usually doesn't work--the bots are trained to look for that and still harvest the address and use it for spam. It should all be done via PM. And a person doesn't know you are interested in sharing until you first PM them. So it requires at least a few "back and forths" before the sequence is actually sent. There doesn't seem to be a better way.

In the time it took you to voice your complaint, you could of have 1/2 a sequence already done...:shock:

The clocks a tickin' Jimbo! HAHA :dude:

wasting-time-logo2.jpg

Surfing4Dough wrote:

And a person doesn't know you are interested in sharing until you first PM them.

That's not entirely true...people request sequences all the time via a post.

pokrplr wrote:

In the time it took you to voice your complaint, you could of have 1/2 a sequence already done...:shock:
The clocks a tickin' Jimbo! HAHA :dude:

Yes...the clock is tickin....and WAAAAY too fast...but I can't sequence here at work...but I can "complain"!!