Light-O-Rama Forums

Cords

Guest guest

I built 4 controllers last year using my own Rite-Time boxes. I bought all the cords from the website, but have noticed that some of you use regular indoor cords with the ends cut off. What do you think? Anyone had any problems?

Only problem with using the indoor cords is that most of the time, the longer extenstion cords (25' - 100') all have 3 prongs. You have two choices. You could either cut the ground pin off all the extension cords (basically ruining them) or you have to put 3pin/2pin adapters on each cord.

I used dollard store indoor cords for the mega cables. They aren't UV protected, and have only been out in the summer sun for about 3 weeks total, and I can see fading in the color. It makes me wonder how long they will last. (of course, they are only going to be outside for 2 months a year, and in winter) but I've heard UV was a killer.

Something to think about. Other than that, I've used dollard store cords year after year for the rest of the display.

jeff

I've use indoor cords outside for the past 4 years. Yes, the color may fade, but they are not outside long enough for the outer insulation to deteriorate.

Before placing them outside each year, check for any cracks.

MichaelC wrote:

Only problem with using the indoor cords is that most of the time, the longer extenstion cords (25' - 100') all have 3 prongs. You have two choices. You could either cut the ground pin off all the extension cords (basically ruining them) or you have to put 3pin/2pin adapters on each cord.

If you use the "controllers as close to the lights as possible" mantra this won't be an issue, most of the time. I do have a few longer runs that I use the grounded adaptors for. I don't like destroying extention cords, even if they're mostly used only in the display.

-Tim