Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Tester

Guest guest

After playing around with LOR and making a few sequences, I have found that real lights look differently compared to the animation window.

I have nine 7' tall tree wire frames that I am putting in a line in front of my house. To get a feel of how it is going to react I built a miniature out of c7 bulbs.

http://www.barncow.com/christmas/lor-tester.swf

This has helped a lot because some things that I thought were going to look good ended up not looking so great. I have had to adjust the brightness many times to other levels to get the desired look I want.

I would have to agree, I built a simulator board several months back (see attached link) and noticed that it just did not look the same as it did in the animation wizard, now I also used C7 bulbs for my simulator and the reaction times do seem to be different, but I think the reaction time between mini's, C7, C9 and 40, 60, 100 and 150 watt bulbs will also all be different (that would be a cool experiment, might just have to do). But to build a board that will have all the different types of lights as my display would have would be next to insane (ok some may say I am pushing that anyway and would not be too far from the truth;)). Bottom line when I sequence I watch the board to see how the timing is.

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=4128&forum_id=13&highlight=simulator

Bill

Here's my version of a tester.

Mounted nightlights on a V-shaped piece of wood. Made it V-shaped because with a straight piece the short pigtail outlets of the LOR put too much tension on the far left and right lights.

$2.00 for a pack of 4 nightlights from WallyWorld, $8.00 total. Brought the ones with a flat top. Drilled holes and screwed to the wood. Then electrical tape to cover the light sensors.

Attached files 65952=3993-CIMG0975 small.jpg

Nightlights! You're a genius! I've been building single bulb c7 lights to light my pumpkins and some of my Christmas lights. Using nightlights might be faster and neater. *kicks self* (Don't worry, it was just a love tap.)

It is a nice setup, but I think sacrificing a C7 set of lights with vampire plugs would be far cheaper. I am just a little worried about the photocell covered electrical tape causing even the slighest delay in the light turning on, but once again it does look nice.

Bill

skibozo wrote:

$2.00 for a pack of 4 nightlights from WallyWorld, $8.00 total.

I bought eight of those and they didn’t work correctly. Fist off, they didn’t come on at full brightness. Second, when I slowly dimmed from off to full on, at certain points they would flash wildly. I ended up sanding the bottom down, cutting off the sensor, pulling the small circuit board out, cutting off all of the components and added one jumper. I covered the hole on the bottom with some heavy duty electrical tape (looks kind of like duct tape).

Now they work right!:]