Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB leaping arches

service call

Has anyone tried using 1' pieces of RGB instead of incandescent string lights for their arches? I just thought about it and wanted to ask before I started cutting up a ribbon. I realize it involves a bit of extra work, but thought it might be a neat idea.

Why do you want to cut a ribbon for an arch?    The CCR has 50 pixels so you can make an arch with 50 segments instead of 7 or 8 one foot segments.  

• Like 2

Service Call, I assume the reason you would do what you were asking is to use dumb strips for the 1 foot sections.  I'm with Bob on this one.  Just do it with smart strips or Cosmic Color Devices.  Personally I'm using CCPs for my arch inserted into the back side of PEX pipe.  50 pixels for each arch.  Let's look at a cost comparison for 2 arches (what I got out of each CCP set).  I'm only looking at the lighting cost - not the arch itself.

First is the CCPs:

$240 100 CCPs

That's it..

Now for dumb strips with 8 segments per arch:

$110  CMB24D (arch #1)

$110  CMB24D (arch #2)

$ 50  Dumb ribbon (both arches if you make the arches small)

----------

$270  Total for the lighting

Now if you did it with a full length of CCR per arch it would be about $500.

One of the advantages of the pixels over strip is that you can far more easily make it whatever length you want.  With a ribbon, you are far more limited on your options.

• Like 1

I just went out and took some photos of my arches and will stick them on my web site shortly...

I just went out and took some photos of my arches and will stick them on my web site shortly...

My CCRches have hit their last year.   I purchased these CCRs in 2009 which was the introduction year.   There are too many dead pixels to use them another year.

I would very much like to see your PEX pictures Jim.   Could you start a new thread for PEX arch construction pointers?

• Like 1

Bob - Here's a link to some pics how I made my PEXel stuff last year.  I used 10' sections with 50 CCP in each section, and for the shed I measured the exact length I needed and divided by 49 to get the spacing.  The shed I outlined the roof with one 50 pixel string and another string for outlining the door.  The other pics show how I clamped it for easy drilling, how I attached the pieces to the shed, a couple of the finished pieces, etc.  I used a 1/2" bit and the pixels fit well enough with how I zip tied the wires for no stress that I needed no glue to hold them in place. If you have any questions, let me know. Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x2mm4vg2vzkiqon/AACfIM2qdRHE57L6ZIRU30qYa?dl=0

My CCRches have hit their last year.   I purchased these CCRs in 2009 which was the introduction year.   There are too many dead pixels to use them another year.

I would very much like to see your PEX pictures Jim.   Could you start a new thread for PEX arch construction pointers?

BobO: here is a veryiation on the PEX tubing.  check this (includes part number) www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pjHDMx92TI   

Thanks  George and Matt!    I am making notes and will use ideas from both of you.  Matt why didn't you paint your rebar caps black?

I have my website back up (thanks Don) so I will try to get a page up with description and photos shortly.

I used half of a 5m pixel strip, 2811, 12V, 30 LED, 10 IC per meter versions inside 2" HDPE tubing and loved the results.  The tubing radiated the light awesome and it worked great.  After using these I don't want to go back to regular string light arches. 

• 2 weeks later...

George,

Following up on your RGB ideas I visited  your website.  Really liked the Pink Floyd comments!  We have been doing Run Like Hell for about 6 years now. Switch it on after January 1st.  Just cuz I like the song and the beat is so programmable.

Jimbo

• 6 months later...

Mine are pretty much shot now as well. I moved to e1.31 pixels for this year. I got a 12 strip kit from holidaycoro and it comes with a 16 strip controller. So I sourced compatible strips from Ray Wu and purchased 4 strips to replace my CCRs. They were $10 cheaper (each) than holidaycoro, but you have to supply the right connector and do a bit of soldering. Man, shipping from him is pretty fast from China. I got them 6 calendar days after I placed my order. Anyway, getting the hang of e1.31 is easier than I thought it would be.  Anyone want to buy some CCR controllers (I have 4), or some strips for spare pixels?  ;)

Mike

Edited by greenie95125

Last year, my arches were exactly the same as Jims. I will be doing the HDPE style with 12v Pixel strips for this year. I have everything prepped and ready to assemble, but have not had a chance to get it done yet. My plan is to have at least two done this weekend, if not all. I can get some pics of mine or you can watch this video.

From what I've seen, these end up sort of Neon tube-like. The HDPE disperses the light to where there are no hot spots. There are also some Coro Arches available from Boscoyo Studios that is another option. These I think would be the easiest and least expensive of all. 

http://boscoyostudio.com/products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_29

So, there are several ways of creating arches listed on this page. I would imagine the HDPE tubing would be the most expensive, considering how much I paid for the blasted stuff plus astronomical shipping costs. The Boscoyo Studio arches would probably be the least expensive.